RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, July 20, 2009, 7 PM
1. Roll Call - Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:09 pm. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Chong, Drake, Harrison, Shelton, Townley,Tregub (by teleconference), Webster, Stephens
Commissioners absent: None
Staff present: Kelekian, Tine, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Webster/Shelton) APPROVED. Voice vote. Passed: 9-0-0-0
3. Public Forum Two speakers: Stuart Jones on Waiver Number 3751 regarding 2722 Durant and Paul Barker on rent hikes that force some businesses to relocate.
4. Approval of June 29, 2009 special meeting minutes. M/S/C (Harrison/Blake) APPROVED. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-2-0 Abstain: Drake, Townley
5. Appeal T- 5008 – 2007 Prince Street, D. M/S/C (Blake/Drake) TO AFFIRM HEARING EXAMINER’S DECISION THAT LANDLORD REFUND TO HER TENANTS THE PORTION OF THEIR SECUITY DEPOSIT THAT SHE WITHHELD PLUS INTEREST AT THE RATE SET FORTH IN THE RENT ORDINANCE. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Drake, Harrison, Shelton, Tregub, Webster, Stephens; No: Townley; Abstain: None; Absent: None. Passed: 8-1-0-0.
6. Special presentation by Christine Minnehan, Board lobbyist, on legislation update. Ms. Minnehan gave a report on housing legislation in Sacramento and answered Boardmembers questions.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Second reading of the revision to Regulation 883 concerning administrative penalty waivers. Substitute motion: M/S (Chong/Webster) TO APPROVE THE 60 DAY PORTION AND DROP THE LANGUAGE ABOUT “DELIBERATE.” Roll call vote. Yes: Chong, Drake, Webster; No: Blake, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens. Motion failed: 3-6-0-0.
Main motion: M/S/C (Blake/Stephens) TO APPROVE SECOND READING AS WRITTEN. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster, Stephens; No: Chong, Drake; Abstain: None; Absent: None.
Motion passed: 7-2-0-0.
(2) Recommendation to adopt a resolution authorizing the Executive Director to increase the Rent Board’s Fiscal Year 2009/2010 contract with Christine Minnehan & Associates by $2,000 to cover travel and associated expenses, changing the not to exceed annual amount to $47,000. M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) TO ADOPT RESOLUTION AS WRITTEN. Roll call vote. Unanimous. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
(3) Change in staffing model in reference to RTS upgrades. M/S/C (Harrison/Drake) TO ADOPT RESOLUTION AS WRITTEN AS RECOMMENDATED BY THE BUDGET AND PERSONNEL COMMITTEE. Roll call vote. Unanimous. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
(4) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3569 3336 King
3762 1428 MLK Jr. Way
3764 1312 Alcatraz Avenue
3765 1622 Parker Street
3768 2224 Ward Street
3772 1530 University Avenue
3778 752 Contra Costa Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
*3751 2722 Durant Avenue
3766 1312 Carleton Street
3767 1344 Hearst Avenue
3769 2479 Virginia Street
3770 2351 Cedar Street
3771 2369 Hilgard Avenue
3774 2243 Ashby Avenue
* Continued from June 29, 2009 special meeting.
Waiver number 3751 pulled by Boardmember.
M/S/C (Chong/Tregub) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCEPT WAIVER NUMBER 3751. Roll call vote. Unanimous. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
Substitute motion: M/S/C (Blake/Chong) TO WAIVE 90% ON WAIVER NUMBER 3751. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster; No: None; Abstain: Harrison, Stephens; Absent: None. Passed: 7-0-2-0.
Main motion. M/S (Webster/Shelton) TO WAIVE 100% ON WAIVER NUMBER 3751.
Never voted on. Substitute motions are voted on first.
8. Information and Announcements
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) June 25, 2009 memo from the Executive Director to the Zoning Adjustment Board titled Whether Rental Units at 3240 Sacramento are “Controlled Rental Units.” From Executive Director and self explanatory.
(2) July 14, 2009 communication from Jane Fink titled “The Question of Rent Increases During These Times.” From Executive Director and self explanatory.
(3) June 27, 2009 Inside Bay Area article by Kristin Bender of the Oakland Tribune titled Berkeley woman marks 30 years as executive director of an agency where she was once a client. From Executive Director and self explanatory.
(4) June 29, 2009 Contra Costa Times article titled “Renter affordability worsens over decade.” From Executive Director and self explanatory.
(5) June 26, 2009 Washington Independent article by Martha C. White titled “Renters Hit by Foreclosure Crisis Too.” From Executive Director and self explanatory.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel – No meeting scheduled.
(2) Outreach – To be scheduled off line.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability – To be scheduled schedule off line.
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosures – No meeting scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – No meeting scheduled.
(6) Safe and Sustainable Housing – No meeting scheduled.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – To be scheduled off line.
(8) Future Special Meetings – None at this time.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Waiver process and changes to regulation 883 to be discussed further in the Ad Hoc Committee on Waivers.
9. Adjournment (Townley/Drake) Chair Stephens adjourned at 9:32 p.m.