RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 17, 2009, 7 PM
1. Roll Call - Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:15 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub (by teleconference), Stephens
Commissioners absent: Drake, Webster
Staff present: Brown, Kelekian, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Harrison/Shelton) Approved. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Drake, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
3. Public Forum There were two speakers: Paul Barker on housing; Timothy Melton on Waiver Number 3741 regarding 2725 Dohr, expressing his agreement with the staff recommendation.
4. Approval of July 20, 2009 meeting minutes. M/S/C (Tregub/Shelton) Approved. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Drake, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-5003/RWN-1482 – 1434 Addison Street. M/S/C (Blake/Harrison) Affirm hearing examiner’s decision except for the two recommended modifications by Legal staff, that the mold damage award be reduced by $216, the amount required to change the time of notice to December 11, 2008, and the Rent Withholding Order be dissolved. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Drake, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Adopting a Resolution urging the California state legislature to approve Assembly Bill 473 (Blumenfield) concerning increased recycling in multifamily dwellings of five or more units. (Executive Director) M/S/C (Townley/Blake) TO SUPPORT ASSEMBLY BILL 473 AND URGE THE CALIFORNIA STATE LEGISLATURE TO APPROVE THE BILL AND TO FORMALLY ENCOURAGE THE BERKELEY MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL TO JOIN IN THAT SUPPORT. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Drake, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3741 725 Dohr Street (Continued from June meeting.)
M/S/C (Townley/Tregub) TO APPROVE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR’S RECOMMENDATION THAT THE BOARD ALLOW WAIVER 3741 TO BE TREATED AS A DISCRETIONARY WAIVER RATHER THAN MINISTERIAL AND WAIVE THE ENTIRE PENALTY OF $956 FOR THE LATE REGISTRATION PAYMENT OF ONE UNIT AT 2725 DOHR STREET FOR THE 2007/08 AND 2008/09 REGISTRATION YEARS. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Drake, Webster. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
7. Information and Announcements
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on upgrades to RTS database. The Executive Director reported that staff has completed a list for a Program Analyst and that there are several possible candidates IT would like to interview. He hopes to have the interviews completed over the next month and either have a recommendation for the position or a recommendation to issue a RFP by the next regular Board meeting.
(2) Executive Summary of 2009 Economic Study of the Rent Stabilization Ordinance and Los Angeles Housing Market prepared for the Los Angeles Housing Department by the Economic Roundtable. From Executive Director and self-explanatory.
(3) Sample of letter mailed to owners that received 100% waiver of penalties under the 60-day waiver provisions in Regulation 883 (H) From Executive Director and self-explanatory.
(4) Copy of August 2009 letter from Linda McCormick, Founder of Fix Our Ferals concerning a successful mediation recently conducted by Rent Board Councilor Nick Traylor. From Executive Director and self-explanatory.
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel – Will be scheduled before next regular Board meeting.
(2) Outreach - Will schedule off line.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability - Tentative date August 31st.
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosures - No meeting scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – No meeting scheduled.
(6) Safe and Sustainable Housing – Tentative date September 21st before the regular Board meeting.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – Will schedule off line
(8) Future Special Meetings – None at the time.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Shelton asked for an item to discuss denial of AGA’s due to habitability issues. Chong wants a discussion on his new survey ideas. Townley wants a discussion on the soft story and smoking ordinance issues.
8. Adjournment (Townley/Stephens) Chair Stephens adjourned at 8:20 PM.