RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Maudelle Shirek Building Monday, December 21, 2009
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way 7:00 PM
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
Teleconference location - 220 Kimbary Drive, Centerville, Ohio
(3 hrs, 1 min)
1. Roll Call - 7 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Comments from the Chair Concerning the Death of Boardmember Jack Harrison
4. Public Forum
5. Special Order of Business
a. Election of Chairperson: Executive Director conducts election for Chair.
b. Election of Vice Chairperson: Newly elected Chair conducts election for Vice-Chair.
c. Comments by new Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson: Opportunity for the newly elected Chairperson and Vice-chairperson to speak.
6. Approval of October 19, 2009 regular Board meeting minutes.
7. Approval of October 29th special Board meeting minutes.
8. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 PM
Appeal T-5017, T-5018 and T-5019; 1438 Fairview Street. This is an appeal by a master tenant of a consolidated hearing examiner decision that awarded the tenants money damages for various rent overcharges and unpaid security deposit interest for all three tenants and failure to return one tenant’s security deposit. On appeal, the master tenant alleges that he is not responsible for rent overcharges levied in his absence; that he was entitled to an increased fee for his services as a master tenant; that the hearing examiner incorrectly assigned values to the various rooms in the house; and that the master tenant’s failure to refund security deposit interest was offset by the tenants’ failure to pay for utilities. Upon review of the record, there is substantial evidence to support the award of overcharges by the master tenant, the apportionment of rents as assigned by the hearing examiner, and the Appellant’s failure to refund security deposit interest. For these reasons, staff recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed with a modification to include the $700 security deposit in the final calculation of the amount owed Ms. Doppelt.
9. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1)Discussion and possible action concerning the selection and appointment to fill the vacancy on the Rent Board created by the death of Commissioner Jack Harrison’s. (Executive Director)
(2) Discussion and approval of the 2010 Rent Board meeting schedule. (Chair and Executive Director)
(3) Recommendation to affirm the job description, eligibility requirements and salary range for the classification of Deputy Director of the Rent Stabilization Program (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee)
(4) Recommendation to approve proposed changes to the Staffing Model (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee) (To be delivered)
(5) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3779 2906 Telegraph Avenue
3797 2520 Durant Avenue
3803 1624 Woolsey Street
3804 1518 Fairview Street
3806 1704 – 63rd Street
3810 2730 Dwight Way
Waiver No. Property Address
3784 2019 Emerson Street
3788 1547 Prince Street
3789 3200 Ellis Street
3790 1324 Alcatraz Avenue
3791 2045 Emerson Street
3793 1635 MLK Jr. Way
3794 1238 Hearst Avenue
3795 2912 Claremont Avenue
3798 2422 Hilgard Avenue
3799 2398 Hilgard Avenue
3801 2728 Haste Street
3802 3010 California Street
3815 1500 Josephine Street
3816 3105 Telegraph Avenue
10. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on issues related to tenant notification provisions of the Soft Story Ordinance (Safe and Sustainable Committee and Executive Director)
(2) Discussion of proposed changes to Regulation 702 – Payment of Interest on Security Deposits (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(3) Discussion of proposed changes to Regulation 1266 – Self Labor (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(4) Annual General Adjustment letters to landlords and tenants. (Executive Director)
(5) City Manager memorandum announcing the hiring of Michael Meehan as the new City of Berkeley Chief of Police.
(6) Copy of Administrative Use Permit Appeal for 2412 Stuart St (Executive Director)
(7) Report on Market Medians: January 1999 through September 2009 (Executive Director)
(8) Update on tenant survey and economic analysis of rental property in Berkeley (Executive Director)
(9) Update on Housing Element (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Minutes of October 2nd meeting
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. Approved minutes of October 13th meeting.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
a. October 19th agenda.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.