RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Thursday, January 21, 2010
1. Roll Call - Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:15 PM Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Chong, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster (7:19), Stephens
Staff present: Barton, Brown, Kelekian, Mueller, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda. M/S/C (Townley/Drake) APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-1 Absent: Webster.
3. Public Forum. Marc Janowitz spoke in fond memory of Commissioner Jack Harrison.
4. Special Order of Business
a. Election of Chairperson: The Executive Director opened the nominations. Commissioner Tregub nominated Lisa Stephens to Chair. Hearing no other nominations, the nominations were closed by the Executive Director.
Roll call vote to elect Commissioner Lisa Stephens as Chairperson of the Rent Stabilization Board. Passed unanimously 8-0-0-0.
b. Election of Vice Chairperson: Chair Stephens opened the nominations. Commissioner Tregub nominated Commissioner David Blake. Hearing no other nominations, nominations were closed by Chair Stephens.
Roll call vote to elect Commissioner David Blake to Vice Chair of the Rent Stabilization Board. Passed unanimously. 8-0-0-0.
5. Approval of December 21, 2009 regular Board meeting minutes. M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) APPROVED WITH CORRECTION TO ITEM 7 TO MOTION CARRIED. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
Chair Stephens reversed order of Items 6.a.(1) and 6.a.(2)
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and approval of the revised 2010 Rent Board meeting schedule. M/S/C (Drake/Blake) ADOPT WITH THE CORRECTION IN MAY AS NOTED ON THE REVISED SCHEDULE AND CHANGE THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED FEBRUARY MEETING TO A SPECIAL MEETING ON THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25TH AT A LOCATION TO BE ANNOUNCED. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
(2) Discussion and possible action concerning the selection and appointment to fill the vacancy on the Rent Board created by the death of Commissioner Jack Harrison. M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) TO APPOINT AN AD HOC COMMITTEE OF THREE OR FOUR COMMISSIONERS TO COME UP WITH A SELECTION PROCEDURE FOR FILLING THE VACANCY ON THE BOARD AND TO REPORT BACK WITH A PROPOSAL AT OUR FEBRUARY 25TH MEETING. Chair Stephens appointed Commissioners Drake, Shelton and Tregub to the Ad Hoc Committee and announced one spot still open. Voice vote.
(3) Proposed change to the Staffing Model. M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) TO MOVE PROPOSED CHANGES AND ADOPT THE RESOLUTION AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
(4) First reading of proposed amendments to Regulation 702 – Payment of Interest on Security Deposits. M/S/C (Chong/Blake) APPROVE FIRST READING OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO REGULATION 702. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
(5) First Reading of proposed amendments to Regulation 1266 – Self Labor M/S/C (Chong/Townley) APPROVE FIRST READING OF PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO REGULATION 1266. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
Chair moved Item Number 7, Special Presentation to the Board next.
7. Special Presentation to the Board by Dr. Stephen Barton, Rent Board Principal Planner
a. Initial report on results of the Survey of Tenants of Registered Rental Units in Berkeley (April – May 2009) Dr. Stephen Barton, Rent Board Principal Planner, presented an overview of the 2009 Berkeley Tenants Survey and provided a draft report that detailed the Survey methodology and the analysis of the data collected. After discussion and questions from Commissioners, it was agreed that Dr. Barton would come back at the Board’s next regularly broadcast meeting with a supplemental report on comments made by survey respondents as well as additional information on Vacancy/USPS returned mail.
6.a.(6) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Property Address
3807 2403 10th Street
3817 2415 Byron Street
Both waivers were pulled for discussion.
M/S/F (Tregub/Townley) TO WAIVE 40% OF THE PENALTY IN WAIVER NUMBER 3807. Roll call vote. Yes: Shelton, Townley, Tregub; No: Chong, Drake, Webster, Stephens; Abstain: None; Absent: Blake. Failed: 3-4-0-1.
M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) MOVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3807. Roll call vote. Yes: Chong, Drake, Townley, Tregub, Webster, Stephens; No: Shelton; Abstain: None; Absent: Blake. Passed: 6-1-0-1.
M/S/C (Townley/Webster) MOVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3817. Voice vote: Passed: 7-0-0-1 Absent: Blake.
8. Information and Announcements - Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Comments by Stephen Barton, Rent Board Principal Planner, on the Report “Limited Equity Housing Cooperatives as a Form of Affordable Housing,” Item 8 on the January 7, 2010 HAC Agenda. (Executive Director)
(2) Update on Council Reports related to enforcement and revisions of tenant notification provisions of the Soft Story Ordinance (Executive Director)
(3) Copy of November 3, 2009 draft recommendations to the Berkeley City Council and BUSD on “Vision 2020” (Executive Director)
(4) Update on tenant survey and economic analysis of rental property in Berkeley (Executive Director)
(5) Update on Housing Element (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel - To be scheduled off line.
(2) Outreach – To be scheduled off line.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability – To be scheduled off line.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 – No meeting scheduled.
(5) Safe & Sustainable - No meeting scheduled.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – No meeting scheduled.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – No meeting scheduled.
(8) Future Special Meetings - Special Board meeting set for Thursday, February 25th at 7 pm, location to be announced. This meeting will replace the regularly scheduled February Board meeting. Ad Hoc Committee on Filling Board Vacancy to be scheduled off line.
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
9. Adjournment (Shelton/Drake) Chair Stephens adjourned at 9:33 p.m.