RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, April 19, 2010
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
(3 hrs, 33 mins)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll Call - 7 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of March 15, 2010 Board Meeting minutes.
5. Discussion of final draft of Report on Effects of Rent Stabilization and Vacancy Decontrol on Property Values and Rent Burdens in Berkeley. (Executive Director)
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding search results and recommendation(s) to the Board of the most qualified candidate(s) for filling the vacant seat on the Board. (Ad Hoc Committee on Filling Board Vacancy) (Time Certain 8:00 pm).
(2) Recommendation to set the FY 2011 annual registration fee, establish the maximum expenditure level for FY 2010/2011, and authorize the pass-through to certain tenants a portion of the registration fee. (Executive Director)
(3) Reconsideration of the date of the May Board meeting. (Vice Chair Blake).
(4) Status report on the Waiver Committee’s work and request for Board input. (Ad Hoc Committee on Waivers)
(5) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3826 1515 Prince Street, Unit B
3827 1522 Woolsey Street
3831 1211 Ashby Avenue
3838 2326 McKinley Avenue
3839 1039 Channing Way
3840 938 Camelia Street
3841 1835 Prince Street
3843 1723-25 – 10th Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3809 1300 Monterey Avenue
3822 154 Avenida Drive
3832 2822 San Pablo Avenue
3846 2814 MLK Jr. Way
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Deputy Director Announcement. (Executive Director)
(2) Budget update. (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee)
(3) Ideas for improving the Rental Housing Safety Program. (Chong)
(4) Memo on Voter Outreach Campaign for Ranked-Choice Voting (Executive Director)
(5) Update on the Citizens’ Sunshine Ordinance Initiative (Executive Director)
(6) Memorial Service for Eve Bach on Sunday, April 25th, 2010 (Executive Director)
(7) Update on Recycling in Multi-Unit Buildings (Commissioner Tregub) (To be delivered).
(8) Update on Tenant’s Rights Week. (Commissioner Tregub)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. April 16, 2010 meeting agenda.
a. January 22, 2010 meeting approved minutes.
b. March 12, 2010 meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. February 18, 2010 meeting approved minutes.
b. April 15, 2010 meeting agenda.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
a. April 19, 2010 meeting agenda.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on filling vacant board member seat.
a. March 31, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
b. April 7, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
c. April 10, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
d. April 12, 2010 meeting agenda.
e. April 14, 2010 meeting agenda.
(8) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
NOTE: ATTENDEES AT PUBLIC MEETINGS ARE REMINDED THAT OTHER ATTENDEES MAY BE SENSITIVE TO VARIOUS ODORS, WHETHER NATURAL OR MANUFACTURED, IN PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS. PLEASE HELP THE CITY RESPECT THESE NEEDS.