REGULAR MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION
This meeting is held in a wheelchair accessible location.
PDF version of the entire agenda packet*
(Does not include Late Communications received after distribution of the June 9, 2010 Regular Meeting agenda packet)
June 9, 2010, 8:00 PM
North Berkeley Senior Center, 1901 Hearst Avenue
Note: The regular meeting of the Planning Commission is preceded by a special joint meeting with the Transportation Commission from 7:00 to8:00 p.m. (see separate agenda).
See “MEETING PROCEDURES” below.
All written materials identified on this agenda are available on the Planning Commission webpage: http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=13072
- Roll Call
- Order of Agenda: The Commission may rearrange the agenda or place additional agendized items on the Consent Calendar.
- Public Comment: Comments on subjects not included on the agenda. Speakers may comment on agenda items when the Commission hears those items.
See “Public Testimony Guidelines” below.
- Planning Staff Report: In addition to the items below, additional matters may be reported at the meeting.
- Chairperson’s Report: Report by Planning Commission Chair.
- Committee Reports: Reports by Commission committees or liaisons. In addition to the items below, additional matters may be reported at the meeting.
- Approval of Minutes: Draft minutes of May 19 and 26, 2010 (attached).
- Future Agenda Items and Other Planning-Related Events (attached).
CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS: See “Consent Calendar Guidelines” below.
AGENDA ITEMS : All matters are for discussion and possible action. Public Hearing items require hearing prior to Commission action.
ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS: In compliance with Brown Act regulations, no action may be taken on these items. However, discussion may occur at this meeting upon Commissioner request.
10. City Council referral: Telegraph Avenue Commercial District Zoning Adjustments, May 4th, 2010
11. City Council referral: Berkeley Large Home Family In-Home Daycare: Analysis Of Required Fees, May 18th, 2010
12. City of Berkeley and Bayer Corporation Annual Report 2009. (As part of the development agreement, Bayer Corporation provides a copy of their annual report on the development agreement to City Commissions and staff.)
Late Communications handed out at a previous meeting (copies available from the Berkeley Planning Department office, 981-7410).
- Memorandum from WEBAIC regarding Wholesale Trade and Warehousing Uses in the West Berkeley Plan, dated May 6, 2010 and received 5/26/10
- Supplemental staff report regarding proposed zoning amendments for library building modifications, received 5/26/10
- Supplemental staff report transmitting the negative declaration and initial study related to zoning amendments for library building modifications, received 5/26/10
- Letter from Susan Kupfer regarding library amendments, received 5/26/10
- Notice of preparation of a Draft Environmental Impact Report for the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) Solar Energy Research Center, received 5/26/10
- Staff presentation: Land Use Division Proposed FY 2011 budget, received 5/26/10
- Staff presentation: 2010-11 Work Plan, received 5/26/10
- City Council Report on proposed fee increases, dated May 18, 2010, received 5/26/10
- Berkeley Chamber of Commerce: letter re: West Berkeley Project Research and Development Definitions, received 5/19/10
- Staff handouts: sample definitions and synopsis of existing rules for protected spaces, received 5/19/10
- Michael Ziegler: letter re: zoning consistency and institutional memory
- Commissioner Poschman: letter re: definitions of R&D and modifications, received 5/19/10
- Commissioner Pollack: proposed definitions for “research and development” and “research and development, office,” received 5/19/10
- Staff presentation slides: Considering New Uses in Protected Spaces, received 5/19/10
Public Testimony Guidelines
Speakers are customarily allotted up to three minutes each. The Commission Chair may limit the number of speakers and the length of time allowed to each speaker to ensure adequate time for all items on the Agenda. To speak during Public Comment or during a Public Hearing, please line up behind the microphone. Customarily speakers are asked to address agenda items when the items are before the Commission rather than during the general public comment period. Speakers are encouraged to submit comments in writing. See “Procedures for correspondence to the Commissioners” below.
Consent Calendar Guidelines
The Consent Calendar allows the Commission to take action with no discussion on projects to which no one objects. The Commission may place items on the Consent Calendar if no one present wishes to testify on an item. Anyone present who wishes to speak on an item should submit a speaker card prior to the start of the meeting, or raise his or her hand and advise the Chairperson, and the item will be pulled from the consent calendar for public comment and discussion prior to action.
Procedures for correspondence to the Commissioners:
- To distribute correspondence to Commissioners prior to the meeting date -- submit comments by 12:00 noon, seven (7) days before the meeting. Please provide 15 copies of any correspondence with more than ten (10) pages.
- Any correspondence received after this deadline will be given to Commissioners on the meeting date just prior to the meeting.
- Staff will not deliver to Commissioners any additional written (or email) materials received after 12:00 noon on the day of the meeting.
- Members of the public may submit written comments themselves early in the meeting. To distribute correspondence at the meeting, please provide 15 copies and submit to the Planning Commission Secretary just before or at the beginning of the meeting.
- Written comments should be directed to the Planning Commission Secretary at the Land Use Planning Division (Attn: Planning Commission Secretary).
Communications Are Public Records: Communications to Berkeley boards, commissions or committees are public record and will become part of the City’s electronic records, which are accessible through the City’s website. Please note: e-mail addresses, names, addresses, and other contact information are not required, but if included in any communication to a City board, commission or committee, will become part of the public record. If you do not want your e-mail address or any other contact information to be made public, you may deliver communications via U.S. Postal Service or in person to the secretary of the relevant board, commission or committee. If you do not want your contact information included in the public record, please do not include that information in your communication. Please contact the secretary to the relevant board, commission or committee for further information.
Written material may be viewed in advance of the meeting at the Planning and Development Department, 2118 Milvia Street, First Floor, during working hours or at the Main Branch Library, Shattuck/Kittredge Streets, during regular library hours at the Reference Desk.
Accommodations Provided Upon Request. To request a disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Disability Services specialist at 981-6346(V) or 981-7075 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Note: If you object to a project or to any City action or procedure relating to the project application, any lawsuit which you may later file may be limited to those issues raised by you or someone else in the public hearing on the project, or in written communication delivered at or prior to the public hearing. The time limit within which to commence any lawsuit or legal challenge related to these applications is governed by Section 1094.6 of the Code of Civil Procedure, unless a shorter limitations period is specified by any other provision. Under Section 1094.6, any lawsuit or legal challenge to any quasi‑adjudicative decision made by the City must be filed no later than the 90th day following the date on which such decision becomes final. Any lawsuit or legal challenge, which is not filed within that 90‑day period, will be barred.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to public meetings.
*Agendas & Minutes are presented in PDF format. To view PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Back to top