Commercial Recycling Services
Commercial Recycling Services are provided for businesses and residential buildings with 10 or more units by the City of Berkeley.
To start or change existing service, email Customer Service, or call 311 for a Customer Service Representative (if calling from out of Berkeley, use 981-2489)
Mandatory Recycling Requirements for Businesses
& Multi-family Properties in Alameda County Effective July 1,
2014, all businesses are required to have recycling collection for basic
recyclable materials. Recycling collection is included with paid refuse
service. Food generating businesses, like restaurants and markets, are required
to have compost collection for food scraps, food soiled paper and plant debris.
Compost collection rates can be found here: Zero
The Alameda County Waste Management Authority has begun mailing warnings and
possible citations for lack of required service, as well as for covered
materials in the trash. Visit the Alameda County Waste Authority’s Mandatory
Recycling Website: http://www.recyclingrulesac.org/.
Please call City of Berkeley Customer Service
at 311 (510-981-2489) to request recycling or composting service.
Cans, Bottles, Plastics & Paper Recycling
Collect discards as you generate them, using a small container by your desk, kitchen preparation area, in lunchroom, etc. Then transfer it into wheeled blue carts supplied by the City. Wheel the carts to the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
What to Recycle
Container Recycling Cart
- Glass Bottles: all colors. Lids and labels can stay on. DO NOT INCLUDE dishes, light bulbs, windows, or glass bakeware. They melt at a different temperature from glass bottles.
- Metal Cans: "tin" cans, aluminum cans, aluminum foil and trays. Remove food residues. Labels can remain.
- Plastic: all clean rigid containers and bottles. Caps & Lids OK if attached.
- Plastic bags are not recyclable in the City's curbside collection program: many supermarkets and some dry cleaners take them back. Ask a clerk for the bag recycling station.
Note: Put foam packing peanuts and bubble wrap in plastic bags and take them to a packaging/shipping store, such as UPS or Mailboxes Etc.
Glass, Metal & Plastics Recycling Poster
Fiber Recycling Cart
- Mixed papers - recycle all office and packaging paper together including white and colored papers, envelopes, forms, file folders, tablets, junk mail, cereal boxes, wrapping paper, catalogs, magazines, phone books, newspaper, and newspaper inserts. You can include metal staples, clips, glue, labels, and plastic windows on envelopes. Please remove plastic bindings and dividers.
- DO NOT INCLUDE plastic coated paper, blueprints, cups/plates, milk or juice cartons, food contaminated paper, tissue or photographs.
- Corrugated cardboard boxes and brown paper bags - Remove packaging, then flatten and place in cart or bin. DO NOT INCLUDE waxed cardboard. Produce boxes are not recyclable, but they are compostable.
Paper & Cardboard Recycling Poster
Food Waste & Organics
Separating your food, food-soiled papers and plant debris for compost collection is an easy way to reduce the impacts of your waste generation. We can accept all food scraps, plant debris, paper napkins and wrappings, waxed cardboard, and small, unpainted wood scraps in our compost program. The City will supply carts or bins for your organics and can collect your organics up to 6 days/week. Participants receive a discount of 20% off the current refuse rate for the food waste portion of their service and find it an effective program for meeting Green Business Program certification criteria.
Food generating businesses, like restaurants and markets, and Multi-family buildings of 5 or more units, are required to have compost collection for food scraps, food soiled paper and plant debris. Compost collection rates can be found here: Zero Waste Rates
The Alameda County Waste Management Authority has begun mailing warnings and possible citations for lack of required service, as well as covered materials in the trash. Visit the Alameda County Waste Authority’s Mandatory Recycling Website: http://www.recyclingrulesac.org/.
Commercial Organics Recycing Poster
To Start Recycling Food Waste & Organics: contact Customer Service
To Recycle Other Materials: Check the Alameda County Recycling Hotline website at www.stopwaste.org.