RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, July 19, 2010
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
(1 hr, 40 mins)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll Call - 7 PM
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of June 21, 2010 Board Meeting minutes
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-5093 (1915 ½ Addison Street, Unit #103) This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded rent overcharges because of habitability problems and decrease in services. On appeal, the tenant contends the rent reductions the hearing examiner granted are insufficient. The findings in this matter are based on witness evidence and testimony. In such cases, the Board’s practice has been to defer to the hearing examiner provided that the findings are supported by substantial evidence. Based on a review of the record, staff recommends that the Board affirm the decision of the hearing examiner.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to authorize the deferral of implementation of the Executive Director’s 2.5% Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) scheduled to take effect on June 27, 2010, until December 26, 2010, as a cost-savings measure (Executive Director) **TO BE DELIVERED**
(2) Discussion and possible action on proposed amendments to the 2010 Outreach Committee Work Plan (Commissioner Tregub)
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3856 3217 Adeline Street
3857 2609 McGee Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3830* 1501 Virginia Street/1685 Sacramento Street
3835 1817 Fairview Street
*Continued and revised from June 6, 2010 meeting.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Memorandum regarding staffing changes (Executive Director)
(2) Memorandum to City Council regarding Board recommended revisions to the Rental Housing Safety Program (Executive Director)
(3) Updated Committee Assignments List (Chair Stephens)
(4) August 7th, 2010 presentation to the Berkeley Property Owners Association (Executive Director)
(5) Improvements to the lobby, reception area and downstairs hearing room (Executive Director)
(6) Copies of letters in support of AB 1800 (Ma), AB 2706 (Lowenthal, Bonnie), and AB 2743 (Nava) (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings .
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. Approved May 7th meeting minutes
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
a. Approved April 19th meeting minutes
b. July 19th meeting agenda.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
a. Approved June 9th meeting minutes
b. June 30th meeting agenda
c. July 21st meeting agenda
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
NOTE: ATTENDEES AT PUBLIC MEETINGS ARE REMINDED THAT OTHER ATTENDEES MAY BE SENSITIVE TO VARIOUS ODORS, WHETHER NATURAL OR MANUFACTURED, IN PRODUCTS AND MATERIALS. PLEASE HELP THE CITY RESPECT THESE NEEDS.