RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 18, 2010
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll Call - Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. Aimee Mueller called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Drake, Harr, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens, Webster
Commissioners absent: Chong
Staff present: Barton, Brown, Kelekian, Mueller, Siegel
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Drake/Townley) APPROVE AGENDA. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
3. Public Forum There were three speakers: Paul Barker regarding his hard-working landlord; Saed Toloui regarding Waiver #3862; and Sam Cohen regarding Waiver #3895.
4. Approval of September 20, 2010 regular meeting minutes M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) APPROVE MINUTES AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
Vice-Chair Blake then suggested that Item 5.a.(5) be taken out of order in consideration of the two speakers present for that item, and made the following motion:
M/S/C (Blake/Harr) CHANGE AGENDA TO HEAR ACTION ITEM 5.a.(5) NEXT. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
5. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(5) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3848 1704/1706 Derby Street
3862 2300 Roosevelt Avenue
3887 1329-1331 Parker Street
3895 1802 Cedar Street
3921 905 Modoc Street
3924 1628 Ashby Avenue
Commissioner Blake pulled Waiver #3895 and Waiver #3862 for discussion and Commissioner Drake pulled Waiver #3921.
M/S/C (Blake/Tregub) APPROVE STAFF’S RECOMMENDATION FOR WAIVER #’S 3848, 3887, 3921 AND 3924. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) APPROVE STAFF’S RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT (25%) OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER #3862. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
M/S/C (Blake/Shelton) WAIVE ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT (100%) OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER #3895. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Harr, Shelton, Tregub, Webster, Stephens;
NO: Drake, Townley; ABSTAIN/ABSENT: Chong. Passed: 6-2-0-1.
(1) Adoption of the 2011 Annual General Adjustment (AGA) Order Regulation 1133 (Executive Director and IRA/AGA Committee) M/S/C (Townley/Drake) ADOPT RESOLUTION 10-19 CONFIRMING THAT THE 2011 ANNUAL GENERAL ADJUSTMENT (AGA) INCREASES RENT CEILINGS BY 0.7 PERCENT AND ORDERING THAT THE 2011 AGA BE PUBLISHED AS REGULATION 1133. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
(2) Reinstatement of the Ad Hoc Committee on Waivers (Executive Director)M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) TO RE-INSTATE THE AD HOC COMMITTEE ON WAIVERS FOR ANOTHER YEAR. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
(3) Proposed resolution to offer mediation in an attempt to reach and memorialize agreement between landlord and tenants wherein tenants are responsible for charges associated with installation of an electric car charging outlet at a rent-controlled unit (Safe and Sustainable Committee and Executive Director) M/S/C (Webster/Drake) APPROVE RESOLUTION 10-20 WITH THE FOLLOWING CHANGES: ADD A PARAGRAPH THAT STATES “WHEREAS, this Resolution only applies to rent ceiling aspects of any case before the Board and does not speak to issues that remain the jurisdiction of other City Departments;” AND REVISE ITEM 2. UNDER THE FINAL “NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED…” SECTION TO READ “Clarifying who shall be responsible for expenses associated with the installation of the electric car charging outlet;” Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. Absent: Chong.
(4) Discussion and possible action regarding proposed revisions to the Rent Board’s provisional classification of Administrative Staff Assistant (Budget and Personnel Committee and Executive Director) M/S/C (Tregub/Harr) APPROVE PROPOSED RESOLUTION 10-21 AND FORWARD TO THE PERSONNEL BOARD AND CITY COUNCIL FOR APPROVAL. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-1-1. Abstain: Drake; Absent: Chong.
6. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Report of 60-Day Administrative Waivers of Late Penalties (Executive Director)
(2) Letter from Chair Stephens to the City Council in support of a proposed ordinance to provide guidelines for rental application screening fees. (Chair Stephens)
(3) Update on RTS computer system. (Executive Director)
(4) Apparent Lawful Rent Ceiling letter to landlords (Executive Director)
(5) June 2010 Rental Housing article titled Berkeley Tenants Receive Millions in Savings. (Executive Director)
(6) October 11, 2010 SF Bay Guardian article by Rebecca Bowe titled New Website Features California’s Worse Landlords Ever. (Executive Director)
(7) September 28, 2010 City Council review of Zoning Adjustments Board appeal of 2412 Stuart Street. (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. October 14, 2010 meeting agenda.
a. July 23, 2010 meeting minutes
b. October 1, 2010 meeting agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. August 13, 2010 meeting minutes
b. October 14, 2010 meeting agenda
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. September 16, 2010 meeting minutes
b. October 7, 2010 meeting agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing – Committee Chair Townley announced that their next meeting is scheduled for October 25th, 2010.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – Committee Chair Harr announced that the Committee’s October 15th meeting was cancelled but that they hope to meet twice before the next Board meeting.
a. August 31, 2010 minutes.
b. September 22, 2010 meeting minutes.
c. October 7, 2010 meeting minutes.
d. October 15, 2010 meeting agenda.
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda – Commissioner Tregub requested that the Rent Board Fellows Program be discussed at a future meeting or put on the next Outreach Committee agenda.
7. Closed Session
Item 1. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – Anticipated Litigation
Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code: several potential cases related to registration compliance.
After the Board returned from Closed Session, Chair Stephens announced that: the Board took action authorizing staff to begin a process to forgive penalties for fraternity and sorority houses that may have had room rentals subject to the Rent Ordinance over the past three years. The Chair stated that this process will begin soon.
8. Adjournment M/S (Tregub/Drake) Meeting was adjourned at 10:01 p.m.