Community Environmental Advisory Commission
Agenda for Regular Meeting – Thursday April 7, 2011, 7:00 pm
First Floor Conference Room, 2118 Milvia Street, Berkeley
PDF version of Agenda Packet* (1.73MB)
- Call to Order and Roll Call
- Action Minutes Review/Adoption: Review and adopt minutes from the meeting of 3/3/11
- CEAC Action Tracker: None
- Report from the Chair: Elections; Subcommittees
- Comments from the Public (3 minute limit)
- Agenda Prioritization: Commissioners may request to re-arrange agenda
- Reports from Subcommittees and Task Force Delegates: None
- Toxics Management Division Report: Update on inspections, staffing, funding and enforcement (where possible) for the Certified Unified Program (CUPA) remediation and stormwater programs
9.1. Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Disclosure for cell phones – Council referral
a) Council Item re Disclosure of Cell Phone Radiation Output, dated December 14, 2010
b) National Cancer Institute (NCI) statement from Dr. Preetha Rajaraman and Dr. Martha Linet, “International Study Shows No Increased Risk of Brain Tumors from Cell Phone Use”
c) NCI fact sheet from Dr. Preetha Rajaraman and Dr. Martha Linet, “Cell Phones and Cancer Risk”
d) Abstract Compilation from Dr. Preetha Rajaraman and Dr. Martha Linet
e) Letter from Dr. Joel Moskowitz re health effects of cell phone radiation (March, 23, 2011)
f) Article from Dr. Joel Moskowitz, “Government must inform us of cell phone risk” (April 28, 2010)
g) Article from Dr. Joel Moskowitz, “Cell phones affect brain activity, study says – Study finds no evidence of tumors or other consequences for health” (February 23, 2011)
h) PowerPoint presentation from Dr. Joel Moskowitz, “Mobile Phone Use, Brain Tumor Risk and Public Health Policy” (November 18, 2010)
i) Abstract Compilation from Dr. Joel Moskowitz
j) Handout from Lloyd Morgan, “Three Cellphone Industry Sound-bites & More”
k) Article from Ellen Marks: “Cell Phone Radiation May Alter Your Brain. Let’s Talk” (March 30, 2011)
l) Handout from Commissioner Fred Schlachter: “Cell phones and brain cancer: a scientific view (March 30, 2011)
9.2. Discussion of Commissioner Priorities
a) List of City of Berkeley Boards and Commissions
b) Mission Statements of City of Berkeley Boards and Commissions
- Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Disclosure for cell phones – Council referral
- Risk, Zoning and CEQA – Risk Management (McDonald/Banales)
- Biodiesel Recommendations to Council (Leventis/Mesbah-Bartlett)
- Announcements from Commissioners (3 minute limit)
- Communications to Commission
- Information Items: Maybe moved to action by majority vote
- To be distributed
- Next Agenda: Discussion/Action items proposed for future agenda
NOTE: Please be prepared to extend the meeting until 10:00PM, if needed.
Communications Are Public Records: Communications to Berkeley boards, commissions or committees are public records and will become part of the City’s electronic records, which are accessible through the City’s website. Please note: email addresses, names, addresses, and other contact information are not required, but if included in any communication to a City board, commission or committee, will become part of the public record. If you do not want your email address or any other contact information to be made public, you may deliver communications via U.S. Portal Service or in person to Commission Secretary Nabil Al-Hadithy. If you do not want your contact information included in the public record, please do not include that information in your communication. Please contact the Commission Secretary Nabil Al-Hadithy for further information.
SB 343 Disclaimer
Any writings or documents provided to a majority of the Commission regarding any item on this agenda will be made available for public inspection at Toxic Management Division, Planning Department located at 2118 Milvia St, 3rd Floor, 94704.
Please request information from Nabil Al-Hadithy, Secretary, at (510) 981-7460 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair accessible location. To request a disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Disability Services specialist at 981-6346 (V) or 981-7075 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.
*Agendas, Minutes and related attachments are presented in PDF format and open in a new window. To view PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Back to top