Water Heater Installation Requirements
Water Heater Installation Requirements (PDF)
A permit is required for installation of new and replacement water heaters. Permits may be obtained at the Permit Service Center at 2118 Milvia Street or you may fax your permit application to us using our ‘fax permit’ service.
- Water heaters are prohibited in bedrooms, bathrooms, or in a closet that opens into a bathroom or bedroom.
- Water heaters located in a garage shall have the ignition source, or pilot light, elevated 18".
- Pressure relieve valve shall terminate to the exterior, 6" to 24" above grade with a no-thread itting pointing downward. Minimum 1/4" per foot downward slope shall be maintained at pressure relief drain line.
- In basements, or areas where gravity drainage for pressure relief valve cannot be achieved, a Watts-210 valve shall be required.
- Water piping shall be insulated within the first 5' of water heater.
- A drain pan shall be installed if located at interior other than garage.
- Water heaters shall be strapped at upper 1/3 and lower 1/3 of tank. Approved strap kits may be used. Use of plumbers tape or EMT conduit is allowed, as long as it is installed per the Guidelines for Earthquake Bracing of Residential Water Heaters, published by the Divison of the State Architect (Copies of the Guidelines are available at the Permit Service Center ).
- 75 gallon water heaters shall have 3 straps.
- 100 gallon water heaters shall have 4 straps.
Click here for information about bracing methods:
Installation of new and replacement water heaters.
Permits may be obtained at the Permit Service Center at 2118 Milvia Street or you may fax your permit application to the Permit Service Center using our 'fax permit' service.