Police Badge Stylized 4                                Complaints and Concerns 

How to file a complaint with the Berkeley Police Department, Internal Affairs Bureau 

Personnel complaints are recognized as a very important reflection of the way the community feels about its police departments.  Your concerns or complaints about the acts of an employee or practice of the police department allow us to evaluate both our department practices and effectiveness of our employees. 

The Internal Affairs Bureau is organized under the supervision of two Sergeants who report directly to the Chief of Police.  IAB investigates all externally received complaints alleging employee misconduct.  IAB may also investigate internally initiated complaints of misconduct as directed by the Chief of Police. 

A complaint may be taken by phone, by email, through a representative, or in person at the Public Safety Building. A representative may be an attorney, a member of an organization, or an acquaintance. A complaint may be made by a witness to an incident as well as the person directly involved, even if the witness has no connection with the involved party or is not known to him/her.

During regular business hours, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, complaints should be made to one of the Sergeants in the Internal Affairs Bureau, located in the Public Safety Building, 2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, (510) 981-5706.

The Berkeley Police Department is primarily concerned with investigating the complaint, not the manner in which it is received. A personnel complaint may be made at any time, twenty-four hours a day, and seven days a week.

At all other times, or when a member of the Internal Affairs Bureau is not available, complaints may be taken by a command or supervisory officer at the Ronald T. Tsukamoto Public Safety Building. If you desire to do this by telephone, you may call
510-981-5900 and say:

"I wish to make a complaint against an employee of the Berkeley Police Department."

Your call will be transferred to a commanding or supervisory officer who will take the complaint. A member of the Internal Affairs Bureau will be assigned to conduct an investigation of the complaint. The Chief of Police makes the final decision as to the disposition of the complaint and will inform the complainant of his finding.

Community members may also choose to pursue their complaints through the Police Review Commission (PRC), Complaints can be made directly to PRC.  If a complaint is made to PRC, the Internal Affairs Bureau will also conduct its own independent investigation into the matter. 

Additional information regarding PRC can be found at http://www.cityofberkeley.info/prc/.