RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, August 15, 2011
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
(1 hr, 20 mins)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes
a. May 16, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes
b. June 15, 2011 Special Meeting minutes
c. June 20, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes – **To Be Delivered**
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-5151 (2922 Otis Street, Unit B)
This is a tenant appeal of a hearing examiner decision that awarded the tenant rent ceiling reductions for various decreases in housing services and housing code violations at the rental unit. The appeal was filed more than 30 days after the landlord is presumed to have received the hearing examiner decision. Therefore, the Board must determine whether the appeal was timely.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding proposed changes to the Relocation Ordinance (Executive Director)
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3932 2027 Hearst Avenue
3933 1743 Blake Street
4011 1607 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way
4029 2437—8th Street
4037 3024 Fulton Street
4039 2317 Blake Street
4040 1308 Hopkins Street
4044 1919 Curtis Street
4048 2700 Prince Street
4051 2320—9th Street
4056 1629 Stuart Street
Waiver No. Property Address
(3) Recommendation to refer the attached standard lease agreement which tenants are required to sign to the Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee to review its legality and reasonableness (Executive Director)
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on the Affordable Housing Mitigation Fee Ordinance (Executive Director)
(2) September 23, 2010 SOCALCIA.com article titled, “Right to Rent could change the nation’s foreclosure crisis: CEPR” (Commissioner Harr)
(3) May 27, 2011 letter from Michael Lang regarding the Annual General Adjustment (Chair Stephens)
(4) August 9, 2011 letter from Commissioner Harr conveying several procedural suggestions for the Board’s consideration (Executive Director)
(5) Calapalooza Student Fair on August 25, 2011 (Executive Director)
(6) Minutes from past housing calls and Housing California Workshop (Commissioner Tregub) **To Be Delivered**
(7) May 2011 U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development report titled “U.S. Housing Market Conditions” for 1st Quarter 2011 (Executive Director)
(8) July 11, 2011 J.P. Morgan report titled, “Eye on the Market” (Executive Director)
(9) July 21, 2011 New York Times article by Aaron Glantz titled, “Conversion of Apartments to Rentals for Tourists Is Surging” (Executive Director)
(10) August 11, 2011 San Francisco Chronicle article by Carolyn Said titled “Rents go through roof; Vacancy rates fall as competition among tenants intensifies” (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. August 12th agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. June 10th minutes
b. July 1st agenda
c. July 1st minutes
d. July 26th agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
a. May 27th minutes
b. June 22nd minutes
c. July 12th agenda
d. August 12th agenda
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
8. Adjournment The meeting will be adjourned in honor of Miguel Wooding.
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location. To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before
the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.