RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, May 16, 2011
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll call – Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. Aimee Mueller called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Dodsworth, Drake, Harr, Shelton (arrived 7:42), Townley, Tregub, Webster, Stephens
Commissioners absent: None
Staff present: Brown, Kelekian, Mueller, Siegel
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE AGENDA. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Shelton.
3. Public Forum – There was one speaker: Paul Barker.
4. Approval of April 25, 2011 Regular Meeting Minutes M/S/C (Blake/Townley) Approve minutes with the following change: for Item 6.a.(5), change Commissioner Dodsworth’s vote to “Yes.” Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Shelton.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m. Appeal T-5143 (1525 Fairview Street)
Parties present: Odilia Jimenez (Appellant) and Rodolfo Hernandez (on behalf of Appellant)
UPHOLD THE HEARING EXAMINER’S DECISION WITH THE FOLLOWING ADJUSTMENT: INCREASE THE AMOUNT AWARDED TO THE TENANT BY $15.45 PER MONTH FOR THE MOLD IN THE CLOSET FOR EACH MONTH SINCE AUGUST 2010. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Dodsworth, Drake, Harr, Stephens, Tregub, Townley, Webster; NO: None;
ABSTAIN: None; RECUSED: None; ABSENT: Shelton. Passed: 8-0-0-1.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding holding a Special Meeting of the Rent Board in late May or early June 2011 (Executive Director)
M/S/C (Townley/Blake) SCHEDULE A SPECIAL MEETING OF THE RENT STABILIZATION BOARD ON JUNE 1ST, 2011 AT 6:00 P.M. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Stephens; NO: Dodsworth; ABSTAIN: Harr, Webster; ABSENT: None. Passed: 6-1-2-0.
It should be noted that this Special Meeting was subsequently rescheduled to Wednesday, June 15, 2011 in order to best accommodate staff and Commissioner availability.
(2) Recommendation to set the FY 2012 annual registration fee (due July 2011), establish the maximum expenditure level for FY 2011/2012, and authorize the pass-through to certain tenants of a portion of the registration fee (Executive Director)
M/S/C (Drake/Townley) SET THE FY 2012 ANNUAL REGISTRATION FEE, ESTABLISH THE MAXIMUM EXPENDITURE LEVEL FOR FY 2011/2012, AND AUTHORIZE THE PASS-THROUGH TO CERTAIN TENANTS OF A PORTION OF THE REGISTRATION FEE. Voice vote. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
(3) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3928 1507 / 1509 Arch Street
3934 2100—6th Street
3962 1535 Prince Street
3975 2228 McGee Avenue
3977 1604 Scenic Avenue
3984 2409 Hillside Avenue
3990 1930 Parker Street
3991 2425 Prince Street
3998 1711 MLK Jr. Way
4001 2238 Russell Street
4003 2605 Fulton Street
4004 2705 Benvenue Avenue
4005 1715 Bancroft Way
4006 1115 Dwight Way
4010 2843 Sacramento Street
4012 1500 Chestnut Street
4016 2418 Roosevelt Avenue
4017 1235 Gilman Street
Waiver No. Property Address
Continued from April 25th, 2011 meeting:
3879 1939 Francisco Street
3886 1337 Henry Street
3939 1500 Josephine Street
3943 2634-2636 Benvenue Avenue
3944 2632 Benvenue Avenue
3948 2976 Otis Street
3966 2334 Bonar Street
3968 1639—63rd Street
3971 1301 Poe Street
3978 1810 Berryman Street
3980 2226 Channing Way
3985 1625—8th Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3876 1709 Dwight Way
3929 1516 Josephine Street
3930 2639 College Avenue
3936 1607 Prince Street
3942 1785 / 1787 Franklin Street
3949 1437 Ward Street
3955 1427 / 1433—9th Street
3956 3010 California Street
3959 1730 Parker Street
3993 2920 Stanton Street
3994 2922 Stanton Street
4007 1641 Lincoln Street
4015 2338 Telegraph Avenue
4019 2703 Woolsey Street
Commissioner Shelton pulled Waiver Nos. 4007 and 4015 for discussion; Commissioner Webster had a comment on Waiver No. 3966; Chair Stephens pulled Waiver Nos. 3943 and 3944; Commissioner Tregub pulled Waiver Nos. 3943, 3944, 3948, 3971, 3956 and 3876; Commissioner Harr pulled Waiver Nos. 3936 and 3959; and Commissioner Dodsworth pulled Waiver No. 4015.
M/S/C (Blake/Drake) APPROVE ALL MINISTERIAL WAIVERS AND DISCRETIONARY WAIVER NOS. 3879, 3886, 3939, 3968, 3978, 3980, 3985, 3929, 3930, 3942, 3949, 3955, 3993, 3994, 4007 and 4019. Voice vote. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
M/S/C (Stephens/Townley) WAIVE APPROXIMATELY NINETY PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NOS. 3943 AND 3944. Friendly amendment by Tregub: INSTRUCT STAFF TO COMMUNICATE TO OWNER THAT A GREATER PORTION OF THE PENALTY THAN USUAL WAS WAIVED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE OWNER’S DAUGHTER WILL HENCEFORTH HELP MANAGE THE ACCOUNT. Voice vote.
M/S/C (Tregub/Harr) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3948 AND INSTRUCT STAFF TO COMMUNICATE TO OWNER THAT THE BOARD RECOMMENDS THAT SHE ENGAGE SOMEONE OTHER THAN HER FRIEND TO ASSIST HER IN MANAGING HER ACCOUNT. Passed: 8-1-0-0. NO: Drake.
M/S/C (Webster/Shelton) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3966 AND INSTRUCT STAFF TO COMMUNICATE TO OWNER THAT THE BOARD ENCOURAGES HIM TO CONTINUE TO SEEK RELIABLE ASSISTANCE WITH MANAGING HIS ACCOUNT. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Townley (stepped out).
M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE ONE- HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3971 AND INSTRUCT STAFF TO COMMUNICATE TO OWNER THAT A GREATER PORTION OF THE PENALTY THAN USUAL WAS WAIVED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE OWNER’S DAUGHTER WILL HENCEFORTH HELP MANAGE THE ACCOUNT. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Harr (stepped out).
M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE APPROXIMATELY SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3876. Voice vote. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
M/S/C (Harr/Tregub) WAIVE SIXTY PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3936 AND HAVE STAFF EXPLAIN TO THE OWNER THE BASIS FOR THE BOARD’S DETERMINATION. Voice vote. Passed: 7-2-0-0. NO: Drake, Townley.
M/S/C (Tregub/Shelton) WAIVE APPROXIMATELY FIFTY PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3956. Voice vote. Passed: 9-0-0-0.
M/S (Drake/Webster) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE APPROXIMATELY SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3959. **No vote**
Substitute motion: M/S/C (Blake/Dodsworth) WAIVE ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 3959. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Dodsworth, Harr, Shelton, Townley; NO: Drake, Tregub, Webster, Stephens. ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: None.
M/S/C (Harr/Blake) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE APPROXIMATELY FIFTY-FIVE PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 4007. Voice vote.
Passed: 8-1-0-0. NO: Shelton.
M/S/C (Tregub/Shelton) WAIVE EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 4015. **No vote**
Substitute motion: M/S/C (Townley/Drake) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION TO WAIVE NINETY PERCENT OF THE PENALTY FOR WAIVER NO. 4015. Roll call vote.
YES: Blake, Drake, Harr, Townley, Webster, Stephens; NO: Shelton, Tregub; ABSTAIN: Dodsworth; ABSENT: None. Passed: 6-2-1-0.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on completing the RTS upgrade project (Executive Director)
(2) Update on recent staffing changes and pending recruitments (Executive Director)
(3) Ordinance No. 7,171—N.S. (B.M.C. Chapter 13.78) Tenant Screening Fees enacted by the City Council on April 26, 2011 (Executive Director)
(4) April 26, 2011 letter to City Council conveying the Rent Board’s concerns about proposed changes to Berkeley’s recycling and composting programs (Executive Director)
(5) April 27, 2011 report and recommendations to the Housing Advisory Commission and
City Council regarding the Affordable Housing Fee (Executive Director)
(6) May 3, 2011 Draft Status Update on Soft Story Warning Signs (Executive Director)
(7) April 28, 2011 CBS San Francisco news article titled, “Affordable Rentals Becoming Scarce in the Bay Area” (Executive Director)
(8) May 1, 2011 article in New York Times titled, “Bill in State Senate Would Relax Rent Rules” (Executive Director)
(9) National Low Income Housing Coalition report titled, “Out of Reach 2011” (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. May 10th agenda
a. May 13th agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. April 15th minutes
b. May 2nd agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
a. March 15th minutes
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
8. Closed Session
CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – Update regarding Anticipated Litigation
Initiation of litigation pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 54956.9 of the Government Code: several potential cases related to registration compliance.
After the Board returned from Closed Session, Chair Stephens made the following announcement:
“The Board has authorized staff to initiate litigation in matters related to the enforcement of the registration requirements of the Ordinance as it pertains to fraternities and their related chapters in Berkeley. In addition, the Board gave direction to staff in furtherance of their settlement efforts as it relates to the current Amnesty Program for fraternities and their related chapters.”
9. Adjournment M/S/C Chair Stephens adjourned the meeting at 10:17 p.m.