RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, September 19, 2011
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll call – Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:18 p.m.** Aimee Mueller called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Dodsworth (arrived 7:23), Harr, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster (arrived 7:20), Stephens
Commissioners absent: Drake
Staff present: Brown, Kelekian, Law, Mueller
**The scheduled start time of 7:00 p.m. was delayed in order to address technical difficulties that might interfere with live coverage and Webcasting of the meeting.
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE AGENDA. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3, ABSENT: Dodsworth, Drake, Webster.
3. Public Forum There was one speaker: Paul Barker.
4. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes
a. June 15, 2011 Special Meeting minutes M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE MINUTES AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-1-1. ABSTAIN: Webster; ABSENT: Drake.
b. June 20, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE MINUTES AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.
c. August 15, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE MINUTES AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.
5. Presentation by Rent Board Legislative Advocate Christine Minnehan on pending housing legislation Ms. Minnehan updated the Board on the State budget and the status of multiple Senate and Assembly bills affecting housing issues; she also answered questions from Commissioners regarding pending legislation.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
4039 2317 Blake Street (carried over from August 15, 2011 meeting)
Waiver No. Property Address
3941 1625/1627 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
3992 1236 Haskell Street
3995 1914 Harmon Street
3996 1736 Derby Street
4023 1226 Ashby Avenue
4024 1303 Ashby Avenue
4026 1908 Alcatraz Avenue
4027 834 Allston Way
4028 2207—6th Street
4038 1233/1235 Channing Way
Commissioner Townley pulled Waiver Nos. 3996, 4023, 4024, 4027 and 4028 for discussion; and Commissioner Tregub pulled Waiver No. 4038.
M/S/C (Shelton/Harr) APPROVE MINISTERIAL WAIVER NO. 4039 AND DISCRETIONARY WAIVER NOS. 3941, 3992, 3995 AND 4026. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.
M/S/C (Townley/Shelton) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION FOR WAIVER NO. 3996. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.
Substitute motion: M/S/F (Dodsworth/Webster) IMPOSE A 1% (ONE-PERCENT) PENALTY FOR WAIVER NOS. 4023, 4024, 4027 AND 4028. Roll call vote. YES: Dodsworth, Townley, Webster; NO: Blake, Harr, Shelton, Tregub, Stephens; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Drake. Failed: 3-5-0-1.
Main motion: M/S/C (Tregub/Shelton) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION FOR WAIVER NOS. 4023, 4024, 4027 AND 4028. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Dodsworth, Harr, Shelton, Tregub, Stephens; NO: None; ABSTAIN: Townley, Webster; ABSENT: Drake. Passed: 6-0-2-1.
M/S/C (Tregub/Shelton) APPROVE THE STAFF RECOMMENDATION FOR WAIVER NO. 4038 AND DIRECT STAFF TO INCLUDE IN LETTER TO OWNER THE BOARD’S SUGGESTION THAT HE ENLIST THE HELP OF A RELIABLE FAMILY MEMBER OR FRIEND TO ASSIST WITH MANAGING HIS BUSINESS MATTERS. Voice vote.
Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.
7. Information and Announcements
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on the RTS upgrade The Executive Director gave a verbal update on this item.
(2) Update on the Affordable Housing Mitigation Fee Ordinance The Executive Director gave a verbal update on this item.
(3) Update on the Relocation Ordinance The Executive Director gave a verbal update on this item.
(4) Small Property Owners’ Workshop on October 4, 2011 Commissioner Shelton gave an overview of this upcoming event; official invitation is included in agenda packet.
(5) Other Outreach activities – Calapalooza, Solano Stroll, Cal Student Interns, etc. Rent Board staff member Moni Law gave a verbal update on the Program’s recent participation in Calapalooza and the Solano Stroll, and the Cal Berkeley Student Interns program.
(6) August 15, 2011 Contra Costa Times article titled “Unemployed and low-income East Bay renters teeter on the edge” Item included in packet and self-explanatory.
(7) NY Times article titled “Soaring Poverty Casts Spotlight on ‘Lost Decade’” Item included in packet and self-explanatory.
(8) U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development report on “U.S. Housing Market Conditions: 2nd Quarter 2011” Item included in packet and self-explanatory.
(9) Invitation to the October 18, 2011 Grand Opening for Harmon Gardens (3240 Sacramento Street) The Executive Director announced this event; invitation is included in the agenda packet.
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. June 20th minutes
b. August 31st agenda
a. June 17th minutes
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. March 23rd minutes
b. August 30th agenda
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. July 26th minutes
b. August 24th agenda
c. August 24th minutes
d. September 16th agenda
i. September 2011 Measure Y Tracking Report (**To Be Delivered**)
ii. Memo to Eviction Committee on Tenant Anti-Harassment Ordinance
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
a. April 13th minutes
b. August 23rd agenda
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process
a. July 12th minutes
b. August 12th minutes
c. September 15th agenda
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
8. Adjournment M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) After Commissioner Tregub spoke about the recent passing of his friend, Marie Panec, and her contribution to his community, the Board took the following action: ADJOURN TONIGHT’S MEETING OF THE RENT STABILIZATION BOARD IN HONOR OF MARIE PANEC, FORMER OAK PARK SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER AND PROFESSOR OF BIOLOGY. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1. ABSENT: Drake.