1947 Center Street Renovation
Our Facilities Division staff, in collaboration with the Finance Department, City Manager's and City Attorney's Offices, completed the innovative acquisition of the six-story building at 1947 Center Street in Spring 2003. This was a major step in our plan to meet the City's current and future space needs, eliminate costly leases, sell off buildings that are no longer needed, and consolidate City services in the civic center.
Financed by selling 30-year Certificates of Participation, the City will be able to pay back this loan and save another $6 million by no longer having to pay rent to occupy this and several other locations. The cost to maintain the building will also be recovered by continuing to lease out the top two floors to a non-profit organization.
The four floors of City office space will be renovated in four phases. The first phase, completed in October 2003, moved Finance Customer Service, Parks and Recreation Services, and HHS Vital Records to renovated first floor offices. The second phase, completed in December 2003, moved Youthworks, 1st Source, and Central Duplication into the basement and the Public Works Engineering and Facilities Divisions moved to the 4th floor. The Office of Transportation, Police Review Commission, new computer and citywide training rooms, and Health and Human Services Offices moved into the third floor in February 2004 for the third phase. The final phase will move the remainder of the HHS staff at 2344 Sixth Street into the second floor. That move should take place late in 2004 or early 2005.
When the renovations and moves are completed, the building's nearly 100,000 square feet will provide more cost-effective office space for 250 City employees and improved access to City services for the public.