Legacy - Preserving Our Past
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building is a designated city landmark. Designed by noted Berkeley architect, James Plachek, the six-story art modern building was originally constructed for the Farm Credit Administration between 1938 and 1940. The City of Berkeley acquired the building in 1977 for its municipal offices.
Seismic Renovation - Securing Our Future
Seismic renovation of the Civic Center Building includes a state-of-the-art base isolation system. The completed building will rest on eighty-eight (88) lead rubber-bearing isolators and steel sliders, which will be installed in the basement of the six-story structure. This system introduces a moat around the entire building perimeter to allow the base isolated building to move up to 30 inches in any direction. In the event of a major earthquake, base isolation will greatly reduce structural and architectural damage and will minimize "downtime" for City services.
Typical Open Office
ELS/Elbasani and Logan Architects
Swinerton Management and Consulting
Ove Arup and Partners
The Engineering Enterprise
City of Berkeley, Facilities Management
PROJECT FUNDED BY
Local Measure S
Federal Emergency Management Agency