How does your building rate? Get an ENERGY STAR® benchmarking score to find out how energy efficient your building is and receive a Berkeley Smart Energy Award. Benchmarking helps building owners, managers, facility staff and tenants better understand how to manage energy use and save money on monthly utility bills.
Berkeley Energy Smart Awards: Berkeley gives out energy leadership awards through the Energy Smart Awards program to businesses and building owners who benchmark their building's energy use. All buildings that benchmark will receive an Energy Smart Award. Energy Smart Award participants receive personalized energy reports on energy saving opportunities, apples-to-apples building ratings compared with the energy performance of similar buildings in similar climates across the country, and an award. See below on how to apply.
Why benchmark? Benchmarking uses ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager software, developed by the EPA, to track energy use in a building. It is the first step to making buildings more energy efficient. By paying attention to operations and looking for opportunities to lower energy consumption, you can save money. Benchmarking allows you to:
- Track how much energy your building uses
- Compare your building's energy consumption with similar buildings
- Lower utility bill costs & the carbon emissions of your building
- Stay ahead of the curve in complying with the benchmarking & disclosure requirements of California Assembly Bill 1103
- Receive recognition through Berkeley's Energy Smart Awards Program
Get an Energy Smart Award! Benchmark your building and be recognized! Commercial and public building owners, managers and major tenants can participate. Here are the steps:
1. Add your property. Benchmark your building with ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager, an easy-to-use online tool. Add basic information about your property such the square footage and operating hours. For one-on-one technical assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Get Energy Data. Sign-up with PG&E's Automatic Benchmarking Service (ABS) to get your data automatically uploaded to Portfolio Manager. You will need to know all of your meter numbers (which can be found on the bill).
3. View Results and Progress. See trends and track energy use. View the Statement of Energy Performance Report to see how your building rates and get your score, based on a 1-100 scale.
4. Be Recognized. Submit the Energy Smart Awards Application and a copy of the Statement of Energy Performance Report. Email the Application and Report to: email@example.com. All applicants will receive an award and be honored at the awards ceremony.
Last year's winners: The following 26 entities were recognized for their dedication to energy efficiency and environmental stewardship:
|Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
||Berkwood Hedge School
||Civic Center, City of Berkeley
||David Brower Center
||Design Community & Environment
||University California at Berkeley
|Berkeley Chamber of Commerce
||Ed Roberts Campus
|Berkeley City College
||LJ Kruse Plumbing
|Berkeley Food and Housing Project
||Lawrence Berkeley Labs
||2530 San Pablo Avenue
|Berkeley Unified School District
|Berkeley Repertory Theater
For more information or questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Office of Energy and Sustainable Development website