Candidate Statement of Qualifications
I, KRISS WORTHINGTON, hereby declare that I am a candidate for an elective office in the City of Berkeley, and make the following statement:
1. That my name is Kriss Worthington.
2. The office for which I am a candidate is Berkeley Mayor.
3. That my residence is 2808 Hillegass Ave. #1, Berkeley, Ca. 94705
4. The place of my birth is Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
5. My present occupation is Berkeley City Councilmember.
6. I have held the following public offices: Berkeley City Council; Vice Mayor; Rules Committee; Telegraph Committee; Downtown Committee; Eco-Pass Committee; Berkeley Housing Authority; Berkeley Redevelopment Agency; Berkeley Civic Improvement Corporation; Alameda County Congestion Management Agency; CMA Plans and Programs Committee; CMA Administration and Legislation Committee; Berkeley, Oakland and San Leandro Major Investment Study Policy Steering Committee; San Pablo Policy Steering Committee; Alameda County Transportation Authority(ACTA) alternate for Keith Carson; ACTA Administration, Legislation, Finance Committee; Alameda County Transportation Improvement Authority(ACTIA) alternate for Keith Carson; ACTIA Administration, Legislation, Finance Committee; Alameda County Waste Management Authority; League of California Cities delegate; VLF Expenditure Plan Steering Committee; B3 Countywide Transportation Plan Steering Committee, Vice Chair; Alameda County Transportation Commission, alternate; Association of Bay Area Governments, alternate; Oakland Airport Noise Forum.
7. Record of community service: Sierra Club Northern Alameda Group Chair; Bay Chapter Excomm; NOW; NAACP; Telegraph Area Association (Chair, Public-Safety Committee); Berkeley Safe Neighborhood Committee; LeConte Neighborhood Association.
8. I am a taxpayer in the City of Berkeley.
9. It’s time for a new Mayor who will support our excellent employees, great management, and the public by fixing legendarily dysfunctional meetings. City Council meetings shouldn’t be a marathon. Let’s schedule lengthy hearings on a separate night, in a room big enough to accommodate the crowd. It’s time for a Mayor who will address fiscal responsibility, reinstate a rainy day fund, and stop a $225,000 severance package for the CEO if fired for poor performance. It’s time for a Mayor who will appoint Asians, Latino’s, African Americans, Native Americans and Students to commissions in fair numbers. It’s time not to trust “ trickle down” development. Our neighborhoods are not a Monopoly board. Corporate developers must address affordable housing, labor, environment, and parking concerns. It’s time for refreshing independence from the status quo. I’m known for supporting “progressive” issues relating to Labor, the Environment, Diversity, Seniors, the Disabled, Women, the LGBT community, Consumers, and Tenants. I also helped to create Berkeley Pride, Berkeley Holocaust Remembrance Day and revive Berkeley Cinco de Mayo. Equally important are my achievements in constituent services, Public Safety, Fiscal Responsibility, Jobs, Small Business, Economic Development and Veterans. See 100 of my accomplishments at www.krissworthington.com 510-548-8796
10. I refer to the following residents of the City of Berkeley:
Max Anderson, Berkeley City Council District 3
Jesse Arreguín, Berkeley City Councilmember, District 4
John T. Selawsky, President, Berkeley School Board
Lisa Stephens, Chair, Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board; Former Chair, Parks and Recreation Commission
Judy Shelton, Rent Board Commissioner; 2012 Affordable Housing Convention-Endorsed Candidate
Asa Dodsworth, Berkeley Rent Board Commissioner, & Community Organizer
Alejandro Soto-Vigil, Housing Advisory Commission Vice-Chair & Rent Board Candidate
Jacki Fox Ruby, Former Pres., Berkeley Federation of Teachers; Former Pres., California Federation of Teacher; Former Pres., Alameda County Board of Education; Former Legislative Director, Calif. alliance Retired Americans
boona cheema, B.O.S.S. Building Opportunities for Self Sufficiency, Executive Director; 42 years, working in a multi-cultural community; former Health and welfare commissioner and women’s commissioner
David C. Gan, Retired Public Health Microbiologist and individual member of Disabled American Veterans and American Legion - Berkeley
Robert E. Smith, Friend; Adult Aging Agency; former Personnel Board for two Mayors; former California Senior Legislature Senator; former PAPCO Board; former Alameda County Commissioner on Aging
Kahlil Jacobs-Fantauzzi, teacher, community activist, Block Captain, South Berkeley
Denisha DeLane, District 2 City Council Candidate
Jane Falk, Ph.D; long term North Berkeley resident
Karl J. Reeh, President LeConte Neighborhood Assn.; former Disaster Council Chair
Danfeng Koon, Graduate Student in Education Policy, UC Berkeley; Managing Editor, Berkeley Review of Education; Former ZAB (Zoning Adjustments
Fabienne Vaughn Williams, Senior Citizen, Artist, Textiles, Jewelry, Painting
Iris Crider, Senior, Harriet Tubman Terrace resident
Margy Wilkinson, Retired, U.C. Union Activist
Donald A Jelinek, Former Berkeley Councilmember