Candidate Statement of Qualifications
I, KIRAN SHENOY, hereby declare that I am a candidate for an elective office in the City of Berkeley, and make the following statement:
1. That my name is Kiran Shenoy
2. The office for which I am a candidate is Rent Stabilization Board Commissioner
3. That my residence is 657 Colusa Ave., Berkeley, CA 94707
4. The place of my birth is Flint, Michigan
5. My present occupation is Attorney
6. I have held the following public offices: Berkeley Police Review Commissioner
7. Record of community service: I have served on the Berkeley Police Review Commission since 2010 and have served on the Mutual-Aid Pact, Use of Force and Outreach Subcommittees.
8. I am a taxpayer in the City of Berkeley.
9. I am a tenant and have been for the majority of my adult life. That is why I understand the importance of a strong Rent Control Ordinance like we have here in Berkeley. Though our Ordinance needs no change, as we move forward it is important that we ensure the Ordinance is administered properly. As a practicing attorney I realize that a governing body which makes quasi-judicial decisions, like the Rent Stabilization Board, must be impartial in order to maintain its legitimacy. It is also imperative that the Board provides oversight to guarantee its staff is operating with the utmost fiscal responsibility and fairness so it can continue to effectively serve the community. My time on the Berkeley Police Review Commission (PRC) gives me confidence that, if elected, I can do my part in achieving these goals. In the two and a half years since my appointment to the PRC I have served as Vice-Chair, Chair and on several important policy subcommittees. Working with the community has been my mantra, and I hope to do the same on the Rent Stabilization Board. Please visit www.BerkeleyTUFF.com to learn more about me and some of my endorsers. We need your vote!
10. I refer to the following residents of the City of Berkeley:
Nicole Drake, Member of “Tenants United for Fairness” and Rent Board Commissioner
Judy J. Hunt, Member of “Tenants United for Fairess” and Non-profit Executive
Jay James, Member of “Tenants United for Fairness,” Mechanical Engineer
Linda Maio, Berkeley Vice-Mayor
Darryl Moore, Berkeley City Council, District #2
Susan Wengraf, Berkeley City Councilmember, District 6
Gordon Wozniak, Berkeley City Councilmember, District 8
Charlene Washington, San Pablo Park Neighbor