RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, October 16, 2006
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the September 18, 2006 regular meeting minutes.
5. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-4660 - 2461 Warring Street, #115. The landlord appeals the hearing examiner's decision to grant the petitioner rent reductions due to damp wall-to-wall carpeting and mold in the rental unit's bathroom and bedroom. Legal staff recommends that the decision be modified to eliminate the rent reductions for bedroom mold, thereby reducing the overcharges by $87.75, because the landlord did not have notice of the bedroom mold problem until the tenants vacated the unit. In all other respects, legal staff recommends that the decision be affirmed.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Adoption of the 2007 Annual General2007AGARpt Adjustment (AGA) Order, Regulation 1129 . [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Executive Director)
(2) Recommendation to adopt a Resolution endorsing Proposition 1C, the Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act of 2006. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] (Executive Director)
(3) Review of the following request for waiver of late registration penalties carried over from the September 18, 2006 meeting. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3373 2740 College Ave
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Update on Apparent Lawful Rent notices. (Executive Director)
(2) Sample copy of Rent Board bus stall advertisements (Executive Director).
(3) Fall 2006 Rent Board Newsletter (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
(4) Legislative Update - Press release and statement by the Governor upon signing legislation to extend tenant eviction notice to 60 days
(5) Copy of article on Rent Board mediation services in the September 2006 issue of Rental Housing (Executive Director).
(6) Copy of September 19, 2006 Council report titled - Condominium Conversion Update: Status of Selections. (Executive Director)
(7) Article by Stephen Ohlemacher titled More Americans Find Themselves 'House Poor.'
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. October 16 meeting agenda.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance
(7) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.