RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, February 25, 2013
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
(2 hrs, 45 mins)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer. You can download Acrobat Reader for free.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of January 28th Regular Meeting Minutes
5. Special Presentation - Special presentation by Rent Board Deputy Director Dr. Stephen Barton: Meeting the Challenges of Vacancy Decontrol a. Last month, the Board received a report on the rental housing market 15 years after vacancy decontrol and requested that staff return with a report on possible policies to address the challenges caused by vacancy decontrol. The Board will discuss and may take action on the topics covered in the report. (Executive Director)
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding the Acheson Commons Development Appeal (Executive Director)
(2) Update and possible action regarding the proposed ordinance on smoke-free housing(Executive Director)
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Updated Committee Assignments (Chair Stephens)
(2) Update on Automatically Renewing Leases Ordinance (Executive Director)
(3) Market Medians Report for the 3rd and 4th Quarter of 2012 (Executive Director)
(4) Summary of the February 12, 2013 Summit Meeting on the Future of Housing in California (Deputy Director)
(5) February 19, 2013 letter to the City Council regarding opposition to the reduction in the Affordable Housing Impact Fee (Chair Stephens)
(6) February 19, 2013 memo from the Housing Advisory Commission to the City Council titled, “Discounted Affordable Housing Impact Fee for Existing Projects” (Executive Director)
(7) Board’s recommendation to the Housing Advisory Commission regarding the proposed Smoke-Free Housing Ordinance (Executive Director)
(8) February 14, 2013 Distressed Properties/Foreclosure report to the Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee (Commissioner Harr)
(9) February 21, 2013 Huffington Post.com article by Sarah Medina titled, “Acheson Commons Development: Historic Berkeley Houses For Sale at $1 Each” (Commissioner Harr)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. February 22nd agenda
a. February 22nd agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. November 14, 2012 minutes
b. February 14th agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) Waivers Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Smoke-Free Housing
a. December 21, 2012 minutes
(8) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location.
To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.