RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, July 15, 2013
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
(3 hrs, 14 mins)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer. You can download Acrobat Reader for free.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of June 17th Regular Meeting Minutes
5. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposed amendments to the adopted Fiscal Year 2013-2014 Line-item Budget and Staffing Model (Executive Director and Budget & Personnel Committee) Item will be revised
(2) Recommendation to adopt proposed Rent Board Regulation 807 [Exemption from Registration for units with tenants receiving monthly assistance through the Section 8 Program or the Shelter Plus Care Program or equivalent rent subsidy program] – Second Reading (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(3) Discussion and possible action regarding possible recommendation to request that the City Council amend the Berkeley Municipal Code (BMC) to define and address mold growth in Berkeley residences (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee) **TO BE DELIVERED**
6. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
NOTE: Items (1) through (9) are carried over from the June 17th Board Meeting.
(1) Update on the Proposed Ordinance on Smoke-Free Housing (Executive Director)
(2) April 26, 2013 letter from Badawi & Associates regarding final results of outside audit of the Rent Board for the year ended June 30, 2012 (Executive Director)
(3) REVISED May 3, 2013 Distressed Properties/Foreclosure Report to the Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee (Executive Director)
(4) May 7, 2013 Council item on “Contract: Wells Fargo Bank for Banking Services” (Executive Director)
(5) Update on the May 29, 2013 presentation to the Berkeley Association of Realtors (Executive Director)
(6) Update on annual Registration for fees due July 1, 2013 (Executive Director)
(7) May 23, 2013 SFGate.com article by Carolyn Said titled, “Security deposits stir up disputes between landlords, tenants” (Executive Director)
(8) May 2013 Rental Housing magazine article by John Caronna titled, “It’s a Great Time to Buy & Sell” (Executive Director)
(9) June 10, 2013 San Francisco Chronicle editorial by Enrico Moretti titled, “How to make housing more affordable” (Commissioner Hunt)
(10) Updated Commissioner Attendance records through Q2 of 2013 (Executive Director)
(11) Public Meeting Notice for Proposed City Ordinance to Require Retrofit of Soft Story Buildings (Executive Director)
(12) June 19, 2013 Los Angeles Times article by Lee Romney titled, “San Francisco ‘Landlords from Hell’ agree to prison terms” (Executive Director)
(13) Flyer for the Ecology Center’s “Go Green Expo For Renters” on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. (Executive Director)
(14) Update on Proposed Revision to the Demolition Ordinance (Chair Stephens)
(15) Update on Acheson Commons Development Appeal (Chair Stephens)
(16) June 30, 2013 Daily Californian article by Andrew Dickey titled, “Survey finds some Berkeley buildings do not meet earthquake safety requirements" (Executive Director)
(17) Communication with tenants of Premium Properties regarding unilateral changes in terms of rental agreements (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. June 14th agenda
a. April 19th minutes
b. June 14th agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. May 3rd minutes
b. June 7th agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) Waivers Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Smoke-Free Housing
(8) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
a. March 25th minutes
b. May 16th agenda
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
7. CLOSED SESSION
CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.8:
Update on lease negotiations for possible rental space for January 1, 2014 going forward.
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location.
To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.