In January 2013, Mayor Tom Bates, members of the Berkeley City Council, and numerous individuals signed a letter requesting that the City of Berkeley Public Health Clinic be renamed to honor the life and contributions of Ann Chandler. On June 25, 2013, a resolution was adopted by the Berkeley City Council stating that the City of Berkeley Public Health Clinic, located at 830 University be renamed the Ann Chandler Public Health Center, effective November 18, 2013.
Ann Judith Chandler was born in Bath, Maine on August 6, 1941. She migrated to Berkeley in 1969 where she remained a resident until her death in November, 2012. After receiving her Master of Science in Public Health from Cal State Hayward in the mid-1980s, Ann continued on to serve as the Director of the Public Health Laboratory of Alameda County for 25 years, until she retired in 2006. In her retirement, she worked as an Examiner for the Facility Licensing Division at the California Department of Public Health. Ms. Chandler served on the Berkeley City Council from 1984 to 1992 and, during her tenure, worked on the establishment of the Berkeley High School Health Center and the pursuit of HIV research.
During her 43 years as a Berkeley resident, Ann was an active member of many organizations, including: the Berkeley Public Library (Board Member); American Public Health Association (APHA); Community Conservation Centers-Berkeley Recycling (Board Member); Berkeley Citizens’ Action (Board Member); and a Committee Member on Building a New Home for Health: LifeLong West Berkeley Capital Campaign. Ann Chandler remained a staunch advocate for public health until she passed away on November 17, 2012.
Berkeley City Council Resolution No. 66-232-N.S.
Ann Chandler Public Health Center