RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, December 16, 2013
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
Video Archive (1:23)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
You can download Acrobat Reader for free.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the November 18, 2013 Regular Meeting minutes – **To Be Delivered**
5. Special Order of Business
a. Election of Chairperson: The Executive Director conducts election for Chair.
b. Election of Vice Chairperson: The newly-elected Chair conducts election for Vice-Chair.
c. Comments by new Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson if they desire to do so.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation to amend Regulation 1004 [Provision of Certificate of Permissible Rent Level] – Second reading (IRA/AGA/Habitability Committee)
(2) Discussion and possible action regarding approval of the proposed Rent Stabilization Board 2014 Calendar Year Regular Meeting Schedule (Chair Stephens & Executive Director)
(3) Discussion and possible action regarding a memo on Disaster Planning for Tenants in Multi-Family buildings (Safe & Sustainable Housing Committee) – **To Be Delivered**
(4) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following request for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Discretionary Waiver (carried over from October 21st Board meeting)
Waiver No. Property Address
W -4283 211 Byron Street
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on City Council action to adopt the Ordinance to Require the Retrofit of Soft, Weak or Open Front Buildings; BMC Chapter 19.39 (Executive Director) - Verbal
(2) Update on Tobacco-Free Multi-Unit Housing Ordinance (Executive Director)
(3)December 3, 2013 memo from Chair Lisa Stephens to the City Council concerning Amendments to the Tobacco-Free Multi-Unit Housing Ordinance. (Chair Stephens)
(4) November 19, 2013 memo from Chair Lisa Stephens to the City Council concerning Amendments to the Tobacco-Free Multi-Unit Housing Ordinance. (Chair Stephens)
(5) Update on December 3, 2013 City Council action item on Supporting City of Richmond’s Home Loan Principle Reduction Program (Chair Stephens)
(6) Update on remodeling of Rent Stabilization Program offices (Executive Director) - Verbal
(7) Market Medians Report for the 2nd and 3rd Quarter of 2013 (Executive Director)
(8) December 9, 2013 memo from the Housing Advisory Commission titled Recommendation on 2014 Draft Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (Chair Stephens)
(9) December 17, 2013 City Council Action Item referring to the City Manager the exemption of fire-damaged buildings from the Affordable Housing Mitigation Fee (Executive Director)
(10) December 17, 2013 City Council Consent Item referring to the City Manager the establishment of Code Enforcement Prioritization Policy and possible fee adjustments (Executive Director)
(11) November 13, 2013 SF Gate article by John Cote and Marisa Lagos titled, “ SF Politicians: Restrict Ellis Act Evictions” (Commissioner Harr)
(12) November 14, 2013 SF Bay Guardian article by Rebecca Bowe titled, “Hundreds attend hearing to call for action on evictions” (Commissioner Harr)
(13) November 21, 2013 Daily Cal article by Alison Fu titled, “City property owners may be required to retrofit seismically unsafe buildings” (Chair Stephens)
(14) November 26, 2013 Los Angeles Times article by Rosanna Xia and Rong-Gong Lin II titled, “LA needs at least a year to find quake-vulnerable wood buildings” (Chair Stephens)
(15) November 2013 East Bay Rental Housing Association article by Daniel Wilson titled, “Bed Bugs Live Here” (Commissioner Harr)
(16) December 9, 2013 Bloomberg Businessweek article by Peter Coy titled. Harvard Study Finds : The Rent Is Way Too High” (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. December 19th agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
a. December 12th agenda
(6) Waivers Committee
a. March 6th minutes
b. December 10th agenda
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Smoke-Free Housing
(8) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(9) Future Specil Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
8. CLOSED SESSION – Pursuant to California Government Code § 54957(b):
PUBLIC EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
Title: Executive Director
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location.
To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.