Home or Out-of-hospital Birth Registration Appointment
Home/Out-of-hospital births may only be registered in our office BY APPOINTMENT. The process is simple, but you will need to gather all the necessary documentation prior to scheduling an appointment with us.
Appointments are only available on Wednesdays at 1PM, 2PM, 3PM and 4PM. No exceptions.
These hours are subject to change at any time. Please call us directly for the most up to date schedule.
You may schedule an appointment at any time during regular business hours MON-FRI (9-5PM).
The presence of the mother, child and a witness is required to register.
The process may take up to 1 hour (usually 30mins without delays of any kind).
The witness can be anyone who was present at the birth, such as the father, Midwife, friend, uncle, aunt, cousin, etc.
The birth MUST have occurred within the last 12months within the City of Berkeley Geographical Limits. For births which occurred outside the City of Berkeley geographical limits, please contact that city or county of occurrence directly.
If the birth occurred more than 12 months ago, a Delayed Registration of Birth is required and may only be processed at state level (see pamphlet below).
THE LAW REQUIRES YOU TO BRING EVIDENCES PROVING FIVE FACTS, AS FOLLOW:
- Identity of the parent(s):
- California State ID or
- Driver's License of parents or
- Temporary/permanent resident identification card (Green Card) or
- Any other valid picture identification issued by a foreign government are also accepted
- Pregnancy of the mother:
- Pregnancy test verification form or
- Letter that meets all the following conditions:
- From a doctor, midwife or clinic;
- Written on the an official Letterhead;
- Signed (not stamped) by the doctor, midwife or clinic representative or nurse;
- Contains the current issued professional license number of the person who signed the letter.
- Mother's full name;
- Date the mother was first seen by doctor or midwife (date may be after the child's birth date);
- The results of the mother's prenatal or postpartum exams or pregnancy tests;
- The date of the mother's last menstrual period;
- The date the baby was born or expected to be born (due date).
- Baby was born alive:
- Bring baby to the appointment;
- The appointment WILL NOT be conducted if the baby is not present.
- Birth occurred in California in the county of registration:
Identity of the Witness:
- We need information showing that the mother was in California on the date that the birth occurred, which may include any of the following items:
- Baby born at the mother's residence: Bring an utility bill that covers the time frame when the birth occurred containing the address of the residence where the birth occurred listing also the name of the mother or father (if he is listed on the certificate)
- An affidavit from someone who was with the mother at the time of the baby's birth. It must contain the address of the person with the mother and the location of the birth.
- A current receipt or other similar document that shows the mother's name and address.
- A statement from a state of local government agency that requires proof of residency in California that the mother was receiving services on the date of the baby's birth (e.g.WIC or Medi-Cal)
- Any person who witness the birth occurring. (e.g. Spouse or other family member, friend, paramedic or fire department staff, etc)
- If fire department of paramedics were present during the birth, just bring a copy of the official report stating the treatment or service provided.
- If they arrived after the birth occurred, bring a copy of the 911 call or an official report of the contents of the 911 call, along with a copy of the paramedic's report.
- The valid ID's for the witness is the same as listed on item 1 above.
Home/Out-of-hospital Birth Registration
IN ADDITION TO THE ITEMS ABOVE, THE PARENT(S) MUST BRING:
* Forms available for download
** These Forms will be mailed to you upon your request for an appointment or you can wait to complete them at the date of your appointment.
For your complete Home or Out-of-Hospital Registration Package - Click here
Are you a Physician or Midwife and wish to ask some questions? Click here
Wish to make an appointment? Click here or call (510) 981-5320
LOCATION OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT:
City of Berkeley Office of Vital Statistics
1947 Center Street - 2nd Floor
Berkeley, CA 94704
*** Please check-in first with the security guard at the front lobby in the first floor ***