Welcome to the City’s Employment Page for Recreation Division programs. Here at the City of Berkeley, we pride ourselves in continually offering exciting, interactive, and fun activities for all ages in the Berkeley community. If you have the desire to make a difference in the lives of others, you’ve come to the right place.
- For Full-Time Career employment opportunities, visit our Human Resources Job Opportunities Page.
- For Temporary or Seasonal positions working for our Residential Camps, Community Centers, Sports Programs, Aquatics Facilities, and Playground Programs, review the information below.
Now accepting applications for Spring and Summer 2017 Programs! Employment Application
Minimum age for employment is 16 years. Candidates under the age of 18 will require a work permit.
Summer 2017 Recreation Division programs:
Click the link for specific information about each program.
- Fill out the Employment Application.
- All applications must include an original signature.
- Be sure to mark all program areas in which you'd like to be considered for employment.*
- In the "Employment Record" portion of the City’s application, list all of your paid or volunteer experience as it applies to the job. Examples include: camp counselor positions, babysitting jobs, youth coaching experience, leadership camps, youth mentoring programs, etc.
- In the “Relevant licenses, certificates, or training” portion of the City’s application, list all relevant certificates that apply to the job. Examples include: First Aid and CPR, Lifeguard, WSI, etc.
- Attach all required certificates with your application. (Please refer under “job requirements” for required certificates for the position you are applying for with the City).
Mail or drop-off your completed application to:
City of Berkeley Recreation Division
2701 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
- You may fax your application to (510) 981-5160.
- Upon receipt, your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted by phone or email if you are selected for an interview.
Candidates under serious consideration must provide proof of a recent negative T.B. test prior the beginning of the program or agree to get one as condition of employment. An original Social Security card is also required.
California state law requires that all recreation employees and volunteers having direct contact, supervisory or disciplinary authority over minors be fingerprinted as a condition of employment. Candidates under serious consideration for hire will be referred for fingerprinting.
Candidates under the age of 18 will require a work permit.
Below is a typical Summer staff hiring schedule. Please note that some program schedules and requirements may vary.
- City begins accepting and reviewing recreation division applications
- City schedules and completes interviews
- City begins recommending applicants for hire
- Employee completion of required new hire employee paperwork and employment requirements
- Early June:
- Employee training(s). Training schedules and requirements vary by program.
*(pdf) This is a pdf format, if you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader, please download from City's download site. If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), (510) 981-5150, or TDD (510) 981-6903.