REGULAR MEETING OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION
This meeting is held in a wheelchair accessible location.
PDF version of the entire agenda packet*
(Does not include Late Communications received after distribution of the May 12, 2010 agenda packet)
May 12, 2010, 7:00 PM
North Berkeley Senior Center, 1901 Hearst Avenue
See “MEETING PROCEDURES” below.
All written materials identified on this agenda are available on the Planning Commission webpage: http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/ContentDisplay.aspx?id=13072
- Roll Call
- Order of Agenda: The Commission may rearrange the agenda or place additional agendized items on the Consent Calendar.
- Public Comment: Comments on subjects not included on the agenda. Speakers may comment on agenda items when the Commission hears those items.
See “Public Testimony Guidelines” below.
- Planning Staff Report: In addition to the items below, additional matters may be reported at the meeting.
- Chairperson’s Report: Report by Planning Commission Chair.
- Committee Reports: Reports by Commission committees or liaisons. In addition to the items below, additional matters may be reported at the meeting.
- Approval of Minutes: Draft minutes of April 28, 2010 for the special and regular meetings (attached).
- Future Agenda Items and Other Planning-Related Events (attached).
CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS: See “Consent Calendar Guidelines” below.
AGENDA ITEMS: All matters are for discussion and possible action. Public Hearing items require hearing prior to Commission action.
ADDITIONAL AGENDA ITEMS: In compliance with Brown Act regulations, no action may be taken on these items. However, discussion may occur at this meeting upon Commissioner request.
Supplemental Communications or Reports (copies available from the Berkeley Planning Department office, 981-7410).
- Staff presentation on the status of the West Berkeley Project, received April 28, 2010.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments for West Berkeley titled “Parking Reductions,” received April 28, 2010.
- Proposed Zoning Amendments for West Berkeley titled “Sample Definitions for R & D, Manufacturing, and Office Uses – Supplemental Information,” received April 28, 2010.
- Letter from Mary Murtaugh re: DAP, received April 28, 2010.
Late Communications received after distribution of the May 12 agenda packet:
- Berkeley Public Library's Neighborhood Outreach for the Branch Improvement Program, 2008-2010, received May 12, 2010
- Letter from Anthony Bruzzone of Berkeley Design Advocates re: the Safeway rebuild and expansion, received May 10, 2010
- Email from John English re: Some Problems in the "New 2010 Downtown Area Plan", dated April 28, 2010
- Amendments to Previous Staff Report re: New 2010 Downtown Area Plan (DAP) and General Plan Amendments (GPA), received May 12, 2010
- Handout from Zelda Bronstein re: First Quarter 2010 East Bay Market Summary Reports, received May 12, 2010
Public Testimony Guidelines
Speakers are customarily allotted up to three minutes each. The Commission Chair may limit the number of speakers and the length of time allowed to each speaker to ensure adequate time for all items on the Agenda. To speak during Public Comment or during a Public Hearing, please submit a speaker card to the Secretary by 7:15 p.m., or at the Planning Department zoning counter by 5:00 p.m. (2120 Milvia Street). Customarily speakers are asked to address agenda items when the items are before the Commission rather than during the general public comment period.
Speakers are encouraged to submit comments in writing. See “Procedures for correspondence to the Commissioners” below.
Consent Calendar Guidelines
The Consent Calendar allows the Commission to take action with no discussion on projects to which no one objects. The Commission may place items on the Consent Calendar if no one present wishes to testify on an item. Anyone present who wishes to speak on an item should submit a speaker card prior to the start of the meeting, or raise his or her hand and advise the Chairperson, and the item will be pulled from the consent calendar for public comment and discussion prior to action.
Procedures for correspondence to the Commissioners:
- To distribute correspondence to Commissioners prior to the meeting date -- submit comments by 12:00 noon, seven (7) days before the meeting. Please provide 15 copies of any correspondence with more than ten (10) pages.
- Any correspondence received after this deadline will be given to Commissioners on the meeting date just prior to the meeting.
- Staff will not deliver to Commissioners any additional written (or email) materials received after 12:00 noon on the day of the meeting.
- Members of the public may submit written comments themselves early in the meeting. To distribute correspondence at the meeting, please provide 15 copies and submit to the Planning Commission Secretary just before or at the beginning of the meeting.
- Written comments should be directed to the Planning Commission Secretary at the Land Use Planning Division (Attn: Planning Commission Secretary).
Communications Are Public Records: Communications to Berkeley boards, commissions or committees are public record and will become part of the City’s electronic records, which are accessible through the City’s website. Please note: e-mail addresses, names, addresses, and other contact information are not required, but if included in any communication to a City board, commission or committee, will become part of the public record. If you do not want your e-mail address or any other contact information to be made public, you may deliver communications via U.S. Postal Service or in person to the secretary of the relevant board, commission or committee. If you do not want your contact information included in the public record, please do not include that information in your communication. Please contact the secretary to the relevant board, commission or committee for further information.
Written material may be viewed in advance of the meeting at the Planning and Development Department, 2118 Milvia Street, First Floor, during working hours or at the Main Branch Library, Shattuck/Kittredge Streets, during regular library hours at the Reference Desk.
Accommodations Provided Upon Request. To request a disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Disability Services specialist at 981-6346(V) or 981-7075 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Note: If you object to a project or to any City action or procedure relating to the project application, any lawsuit which you may later file may be limited to those issues raised by you or someone else in the public hearing on the project, or in written communication delivered at or prior to the public hearing. The time limit within which to commence any lawsuit or legal challenge related to these applications is governed by Section 1094.6 of the Code of Civil Procedure, unless a shorter limitations period is specified by any other provision. Under Section 1094.6, any lawsuit or legal challenge to any quasi‑adjudicative decision made by the City must be filed no later than the 90th day following the date on which such decision becomes final. Any lawsuit or legal challenge, which is not filed within that 90‑day period, will be barred.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to public meetings.
*Agendas & Minutes are presented in PDF format. To view PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Back to top