Department of Planning & Development
Department of Planning & Development

Triggers and Ordinances Required Before Permit Issuance

Private Sewer Lateral (PSL)

Sewer lines on private property must be inspected and replaced or repaired when the value of construction work exceeds $100,000 or costs more than $58,900. Effective June 1, 2011, you will be required to submit a Sewer Lateral Certificate (SLC) from the Public Works Department before receiving a building permit for your remodeling project(s).  If you do not submit the SLC, the city will issue a plan check correction notice indicating you need to provide a copy of a Sewer Lateral Certificate before a building permit will be issued. Private Sewer Lateral Compliance Questions:  (510) 981-6423  


Waste Diversion

For assistance with filling our the C&D form, contact Building & Safety at (510) 981-7440 or

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Planning & Development, 2120 Milvia St., Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903