Zoning - R-S (Residential Southside District)
Section _______.010 Applicability of Regulations
The regulations in this Chapter shall apply in all R-S Districts. In addition, the general provisions in Sub-title 23C shall apply. Where the H District overlays a property so as to be classified R-S(H), the Hillside District provisions of Chapter 23E.96 shall also apply. (Ord. 6478-NS § 4 (part), 1999)
Section _______.020 Purposes
The purposes of the Residential Southside District (R-S) Districts are to:
Implement Master Plan and Southside Area Plan policy by encouraging relatively high and moderate density, multi-story residential development close to major shopping, transportation and employment centers;
- Make housing available for persons who desire a convenient location, but who require relatively small amounts of Usable Open Space; yet assure adequate light, air, privacy and
- Usable Open Space to promote and protect their physical and mental health;
- Protect adjacent properties from unreasonable obstruction of light and air;
- Permit the construction of residential structures, such as apartments and hotels, which will provide housing opportunities for transient or seasonal residents;
- Encourage the construction of new housing on vacant properties and surface parking lots;
- Encourage the redevelopment of single story structures that are not historically significant resources with housing development;
- Protect and enhance historical and architecturally significant buildings by ensuring that new development and alterations complement their existing architectural character.
Section ______.030 Uses Permitted
The following table sets forth the Permits required for each listed item. Each use or structure shall be subject to either a Zoning Certificate (ZC), an Administrative Use Permit (AUP), a Use Permit approved after a public hearing (UP(PH)) or is Prohibited.
TABLE: Use and Required Permits (PDF 133.71KB)
Section ______. 040 Special Provisions -- Design Review
All new projects shall be subject to Design Review as set forth in Chapters 23E.08 and 23E.12. (Ord. 6478-NS § 4 (part), 1999).
Section ______.050 Reserved
Section ______.060 Reserved
Section ______.070 Development Standards
A. No lot of less than five thousand (5,000) square feet may be created.
B. The height for a Main Building shall satisfy the following requirements:
The maximum height shall be 3 stories and 35 ft.
The maximum height may be increased to 4 stories and 45 ft. if the following findings are made by the Zoning Officer or Board:
a. At least 50% of the total building floor area is designed for residential use.
b. At least 20% of the housing units are affordable to households earning up to 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI) OR at least 10% are affordable to households earning up to 50% of Area Median Income (AMI).
The maximum height may be increased to 5 stories and 60 ft if the following finding is made in addition to the findings above in Section ___.070.C
At least 25% of the housing units are affordable to households earning up to 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI) AND at least 10% of the units are affordable to households at 40% of AMI.
C. Each Main Building shall be set back from its respective lot lines, and shall be separated from one another, in accordance with the following limits:
TABLE: Yard Location (PDF 47.91KB)
1. For two (2) or more Main Buildings which contain Dwelling Units, the Rear Yard may be reduced subject to obtaining an Administrative Use Permit.
2. For two (2) or more Main Buildings which contain Dwelling Units, the required building separation may be reduced subject to Administrative Use Permit.
3. Front setbacks shall be 10 feet but may be reduced to 0 feet through design review with a finding that the smaller setback is appropriate given the setbacks and architectural design of surrounding buildings.
D. Maximum lot coverage may not exceed the following coverage percentages:
Table: Lot Coverage (PDF 33.85KB)
E. Each lot shall contain the following minimum Usable Open Space area: for each Dwelling Unit, fifty (50) square feet; for each person who resides in a Group Living Accommodation use, twenty (20) square feet.
Section ______.080 Parking -- Number of Spaces
A. The following provisions shall apply to properties within the R-S District:
1. No Off-street Parking Spaces shall be required for new Dwelling Units or Group Living Accommodation rooms, for the properties within the Car-Free overlay shown in the map titled “Southside Subareas Proposed Zoning”.
For properties not included in the Car-Free Overlay, off street parking requirements shall be determined by the parking requirements of Section 23.D.40 (R-4).
B. Bicycle parking spaces shall be provided at the ratio of one (1) space per two thousand (2,000) square feet of gross floor area of commercial space, and in accordance with the requirements of Section 23E.28.070.
Occupants of residential projects within the Car Fee Overlay constructed after the effective date of this ordinance amendment shall not be entitled to receive parking permits under the Residential Permit Parking Program (RPP), under Section 14.08 of the BMC (Ordinance #5803 and #5908.
Any construction which results in the creation of ten thousand (10,000) square feet of new or additional commercial gross floor space shall satisfy the loading space requirements of Chapter 23E.32, except for the area covered by Section 23E.56.080.A and the following requirements:
a. Off-street loading spaces at the ratio of one (1) space for the first ten thousand (10,000) square feet of gross floor area of commercial space;
b. Off-street loading spaces at the ratio of one (1) space for each additional forty thousand (40,000) square feet of gross floor area of commercial space above the first ten thousand (10,000) square feet.
C. Residential buildings shall be allowed to remove parking spaces if found necessary by the Building Official to perform mandatory seismic strengthening.
Section ______.090 Transportation Services Fee
A Transportation Services Fee (TSF) shall be paid for each square foot of commercial gross floor area for the District established by City Council resolution and in accordance with the procedures and purposes of Chapter 23E.28. Seventy-five percent (75%) of this fee shall be deposited into the City's general TSF fund under Section 23E.28.100, and the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) shall be deposited into the Sather Gate Alternative Transportation Fund.
B. Transportation Services Fee (TSF) shall be paid for each new housing unit. Housing units which are permanently rent restricted to households earning up to 60% of the AMI shall be exempt from the Fee requirement.
Section ______.100 Findings
A. In order to approve any Permit under this Chapter, the Zoning Officer or Board must make the finding required by Section 23B.32.040. The Zoning Officer or Board must also make any findings required by the following paragraphs of this Section to the extent applicable. If the Zoning Officer or Board makes the applicable finding required by the following paragraph of this Section then the permit shall be denied.
B. To deny a Use Permit for a major residential addition the Zoning Officer or Board must find that although the proposed major residential addition satisfies all other standards of this Ordinance, the addition would unreasonably obstruct sunlight, air or views.
SOUTHSIDE PLAN - PLANNING COMMISSION SUBCOMMITTEE DRAFT
To read PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you are unable to access .pdf documents online, please contact us via email (email@example.com), telephone (981-7400), or TDD (981-7474) so that we can provide an alternate format.