Permit Service Center
Permit Service Center

Owner Builder Declarations

Effective March 1, 2009, State law (Health and Safety Code Section 19825) requires certain forms be filed by owner-builders before obtaining a permit. If you are not using a licensed contractor to perform the work, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Owner Builder Verification & Limitation of Sale Forms before obtaining a permit. 

Authorization of Agent Form
If you are using an authorized agent (i.e., a relative, friend or permitting service company) to obtain the building permit, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Authorization of Agent Form before obtaining a permit.

Licensed Contractor
Licensed contractors will need a valid City of Berkeley business license to obtain a construction permit in the City of Berkeley.  Please review How to Obtain Your New Business License.

All businesses operating in the City of Berkeley are required to have a current business license for each location.  If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you must apply for a new business license under your name.  The following information provides an overview of the City's Business License Requirements.

  • New Business License Applications 
  • Rental Properties Located in Berkeley 
  • Home-based Businesses 
  • Contractors 
  • Businesses Located Outside of Berkeley 
  • Closing Business Statement 
  • Business License Exemptions 
  • Renewals for Businesses Already Licensed 
  • Useful Information & Contacts for Your Business License 
Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Permit Service Center, 2120 Milvia St., Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7500
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903