RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, March 19, 2007
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
City Council Chambers
Broadcast Live - KPFB - 89.3 (N. Berkeley)
BTV Cable Channel 33
1. Roll Call - 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
4. Public Forum
5. Approval of February 15, 2007 regular meeting minutes .
6. Appeal Time Certain - 7:15 p.m.
a. Appeal T-4755/C-254 - 1455 Spruce Street, #1. (Continued from January 18 and February 15 meetings.) This is a tenant appeal of a finding that a rent reduction agreed to by the landlord after an unexpected change in the tenant's finances did not change the initial rent established by the parties at the commencement of the tenancy. The tenant was also denied a rent reduction for the loss of use of a yard on an adjoining property. These findings comply with the law and Board regulations and, therefore, should be affirmed.
b. Appeal T-4782 - 2639 College Avenue, #3. This is a landlord's appeal of a hearing examiner decision that reduced the subject unit's rent ceiling and awarded rent overcharges for habitability violations. On appeal, appellant alleges that the unit is not the tenant's primary residence and that the violations originated prior to his purchase of the property. Neither of these allegations, even if true, would relieve appellant of his duty to maintain the unit in a habitable condition. Therefore, staff recommends that the decision of the hearing examiner be affirmed.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3445 3217 College Avenue
3447 1507 Prince Street
3451 1721 San Pablo Avenue
3452 1920 Bonita Avenue
3454 2540 Chilton Way
3455 2323 10th Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3435 2201 Bonar Street
3437 1649 MLK Jr. Way
3440 2398 Sacramento Street
3441 2016 Blake Street
3446 2850 McGee Avenue
3448 2311 Stuart Street
3449 1827 Oxford Street
3453 2618 Etna Street
3456 1238 Hearst Street
3458 2230 Byron Street
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items
to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Staff Report on the Rent Ordinance and Board practice concerning the consideration on appeal of evidence outside the hearing record. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(2) Measure Y Tracking Report for the period December 2003 - December 2006. (Executive Director) (To be distributed)
(3) FY 2006/2007 Mid-Year Budget Report. (Executive Director) (To be distributed)
(4) Market Median Rents: January 1999 through December 2006. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(5) Mailing of Apparent Lawful Rent notices. (Executive Director)
(6) March 13th Council Item on Limits on Terms, Membership Designated Commissions (final version of Ordinance to be presented to Council at March 20th meeting attached.) (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(7) March 20th Council Item on Panel Discussion and Workshop on Draft Sunshine Ordinance. (Executive Director) [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader]
(8) 2007 Annual Housing Conference April 23 -25. (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8 - Next meetings: Monday, March 26 at 6 p.m. and Thursday, March 29 at 6 p.m.
a. Minutes of Tuesday, February 20 meeting.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story Ordinance
(7) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.