RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, August 26, 2013
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
Video Archive (3:05)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
You can download Acrobat Reader for free.
CONFERENCE WITH REAL PROPERTY NEGOTIATOR PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.8.
Update and possible action on lease negotiations for possible rental space for January 1, 2014 going forward.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of prior meeting minutes:
a. June 17th Regular Meeting Minutes
b. July 15th Regular Meeting Minutes
5. Brief overview of the Rent Stabilization Program’s Capital Improvement Petition Process
6. Special Presentation by Planning Department Staff on the Proposed Ordinance to Require Retrofit of Soft, Weak or Open Front Building
7. Legal Staff presentation on Owner Move-in Evictions – B.M.C. Section 188.8.131.52
8. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Recommendation to adopt a resolution clarifying Rent Board staff’s advice regarding security deposit interest and need to amend Rent Board Regulation 702 due to lack of data published by the Federal Reserve Board (Executive Director)
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
4278 1631 Alcatraz Avenue
4279 1314 Ashby Avenue
4281 1135 Page Street
4284 1203 Allston Way
4286 2114 Parker Street
Waiver No. Property Address
4288 2412 – 10th Street
4289 2441 Carleton Street
9. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on proposed ordinance on Smoke-Free Housing – Verbal (Executive Director)
(2) Update on Proposed Revision to the Demolition Ordinance – Verbal (Chair Stephens)
(3) July 16, 2013 Council item titled, “Update on Monitoring Inclusionary Housing Rent Units" (Vice Chair Harr)
(4) July 16, 2013 Council item titled, “Referral to City Manager: Changes to Municipal Code Regarding Affordable Housing Requirement Implementation (Vice-Chair Harr)
(5) June 6, 2013 Washington Post article by Danielle Douglas titled, “Wells Fargo settles complaint on foreclosed homes” (Vice Chair Harr)
(6) July 24, 2013 Berkeleyside article by Emilie Raguso titled, “Berkeley officials crack down on ‘mini-dorms’ (Chair Stephens and Vice Chair Harr)
(7) July 28, 2013 Daily Californian article by Chase Schweitzer and Simon Greenhill titled, “City ordinance aims to limit development of private dorm-style housing” (Chair Stephens and Vice Chair Harr)
(8) E-mail communication from Commissioner Townley to Rent Board members regarding a July 16, 2013 article in The Nation by Peter Dreier titled, “To Rescue Local Economies, Cities Seize Underwater Mortgages Through Eminent Domain” (Chair Stephens)
(9) July 24, 2013 L.A. Times article by Chad Terhune titled, “Kaiser’s rising premiums spark employer backlash” (Chair Stephens)
(10) July 26, 2013 Berkeleyside article by Camille Baptista titled, “Berkeley renews focus on retrofitting soft-story buildings” (Chair Stephens)
(11) July 26, 2013 L.A. Times article by Lew Sichelman titled, “Rents not easing despite rise in rates; owners are benefiting” (Executive Director)
(12) Information from the July 2013 issue of Rental Housing magazine (publication of the East Bay Rental Housing Association) titled, “Are You Prepared? How soft story retrofits can save lives, protect assets and increase property values” (Executive Director)
(13) February 24, 2011 staff report titled, “Rent Stabilization and Seismic Improvements for Soft Story Properties” (Executive Director)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. July 19th agenda (No quorum)
b. August 23rd agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. August 1st agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) Waivers Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Smoke-Free Housing
(8) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location.
To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.