Rent Stabilization Board
Rent Stabilization Board

Financial Help for Berkeley Renters

Financial assistance is available for Berkeley residents who are behind on paying rent and face possible eviction. Renters can apply for one-time grants of up to $1,500 through the Housing Retention Program, which is administered by the City of Berkeley's Health, Housing and Community Services Department.

Funding is limited and a submitted application does not guarantee a grant. Eligibility requirements include:

  • A need for the grant to prevent eviction
  • Income verifiable by a third party
  • Rent cannot exceed 80% of the applicant's (household's) income
  • A dated notice of eviction which states the amount owed for back rent
  • A signed rental agreement or lease (If applicant is not on the lease, the lease holder must submit a signed, dated letter indicating the applicant's portion of the rent and rent due.)

For more information on how to apply, click on the following links:

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Rent Stabilization Board, 2125 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7368
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903