RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Special Meeting Minutes
Thursday, July 12, 2007
1. Roll Call - Chair Arreguin called the meeting to order at 6:43 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Chong (left at 7:50 pm), Harrison, Kavanagh, Overman,
Stephens, Webster, Arreguin (left at 7 pm)
Commissioners absent: Blake, Walden Staff Present: Kelekian, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Harrison/Stephens) APPROVE AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. Absent: Blake, Walden.
3. Public Forum There was one speaker, Marc Janowitz, on behalf of East Bay Community Law Center and himself complementing the Rent Board for their good work in protecting the tenants of Berkeley.
4. Approval of the June 25, 2007 Special Meeting minutes . M/S/C (Overman/Harrison) APPROVED AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-1-2 Abstain: Stephens; Absent: Blake, Walden.
5. Legislative update by Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan. Ms. Minnehan gave an informative State Legislative report on housing related bills and an
overview of past and upcoming legislation.
6.a. (1) Proclamation in appreciation of Stephen Barton's many years of outstanding service insupport of affordable housing within the City of Berkeley. M/S/C (Overman/Stephens) AUTHORIZING THE CHAIR AND EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR TO DRAFT A PROCLAMATION IN APPRECIATION OF DR. STEPHEN BARTON TO BE PRESENTED AT HIS PRIVATE APPRECIATION AND FAREWELL EVENT. Voice vote. Passed: 5-0-0-4. Absent: Blake, Chong, Walden, Arreguin.
6.a. (2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties.
Waiver No. Property Address
3481 2425 San Pablo Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3482 2045 University Avenue
3483 2200/2202 Browning Street
3484 1321 Ashby Avenue
3485 1600 Lincoln Street
M/S/C (Overman/Webster) APPROVE ALL WAIVERS AS STAFF RECOMMENDED. Voice vote. Passed: 5-0-0-4. Absent: Blake, Chong, Walden, Arreguin.
7.a. Information and Announcements
(1) Update on registration by Executive Director.
(2) FY 2007/2008 Adopted Budget Book. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] Executive Direction informed Boardmembers that the final 2008 Budget Book would be mailed to Boardmembers and available on the Rent Board's website within a week.
7.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel - Committee Chair Overman gave a brief summary of the last meeting and announced the next meeting will be in one month.
(2) Outreach - Commissioner Overman gave a brief summary of last meeting and said that the committee will meet again in one month
(3) IRA/AGA/Habitability - Next meeting Monday, July 16 at 3 p.m.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 - No meeting scheduled.
(5) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee - No meeting scheduled.
(6) Ad Hoc Committee on Soft Story - No meeting scheduled.
(7) Future Special Meetings - No meetings scheduled.
7.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
8. Adjournment M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) Vice Chair Harrison adjourned at 8 p.m