RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, November 19, 2007
Webcast Video Archive
1. Roll Call - Chair Arreguin called the meeting to order at 7:06 PM. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake (arrived 7:10), Chong, Harrison, Overman, Stephens, Walden, Webster, Arreguin
Commissioners absent: Kavanagh
Staff Present: Brown, Kelekian, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) APPROVED. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. Absent: Blake, Kavanagh.
3. Public Forum There were no speakers.
4. Approval of the October 15, 2007 Meeting minutes. M/S/C (Overman/Webster) APPROVED WITH TWO CHANGES BY CHAIR ARREGUIN: ITEM 1. UNDER ROLL CALL STAFF PRESENT STRIKE BAAR REPLACE WITH SIEGEL AND VISITING DEPARTMENT STAFF COWAN AND TRAN; UNDER ITEM 8.b.(2) OUTREACH STRIKE FOUR WORDS …AN ALTERNATE BE ASSIGNED TO THE COMMITTEE AND ANOTHER CHAIR ELECTED IN KAVANAGH'S ABSENCE. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2 Absent: Blake, Kavanagh.
5. Action Items
5.a.(1) Proposed resolution clarifying policy on cash-in-lieu payments. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) TO ADOPT RESOLUTION WITH THE FOLLOWING CHANGES: IN THE SECOND WHEREAS CLAUSE WHERE IT SAYS "OTHER OFFICIALS SITTING ON GOVERNING BOARDS", CHANGE TO ELECTED OFFICIAL SITTING ON OTHER GOVERNING BOARDS; IN THE FOURTH, FIFTH AND SIXTH WHEREAS CLAUSES, CORRECT THE LEVELS WERE CHANGED IN 1985; AND IN TWO PLACES IN THE FIFTH WHEREAS CLAUSE, WHERE IT SAY "$50 DEDUCTED FOR EACH MEETING MISSED", CHANGE TO… "EACH REGULAR MEETING MISSED"; AND ON THE SECOND PAGE, THE SECOND TO THE LAST WHEREAS CLAUSE, IT'S THE SAME CHANGE, AND THEN IN THE RESOLVED CLAUSE, IN ADDITION TO THE FOUR BENEFITS LISTED, ADD A FIFTH: PARTICIPATION IN CITY-SPONSORED ECO-PASS PROGRAM. Roll call vote. Yes: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Overman, Stephens, Walden, Webster, Arreguin; No: None; Abstain: None; Absent: Kavanagh. Passed: 8-0-0-1.
5.a.(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
90-Day Administrative Waivers (Informational Only)
The Board was presented a list of 198 properties totaling $97,832 in penalties that have been administratively waived in accordance with Regulation 883.
Waiver No. Property Address
3508 2441-2445 - 10th Street
3509 1035 Cedar Street
3514 1800 Cedar Street
3519 1243-1245 Allston Way
2144-2146 Bonar Street
3520 2598 College Avenue
3521 1269 Alcatraz Avenue
3522 2357 Woolsey Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3506 2435 Hilgard Avenue
3511 1200 Neilson Street
3512 1716 Francisco Street
3513 1535 Shattuck Avenue
3515 2518 Etna Street
3517 1946 San Pablo Avenue
3518 1917 Delaware Street
3523 838-840 Bancroft Way
2300 - 7th Street
3526 1919-1921 Cedar Street
3532 1704 - 63rd Street
Commissioner Stephens pulled Waiver numbers 3515 and 3517 and Commissioner Chong pulled number 3518.
M/S/C (Overman/Stephens) ACCEPT RECOMMENDATION ON ALL WAIVERS LISTED EXCEPT NUMBERS 3515, 3517 AND 3518. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Kavanagh.
M/S/C (Overman/Stephens) TO WAIVE 90% OF THE PENALTY ON WAIVER NUMBER 3515. Voice vote. Passed: 7-1-0-1 No: Chong; Absent: Kavanagh.
M/S/F (Stephens/Harrison) TO WAIVE 100% OF THE PENALTY ON WAIVER NUMBER 3517. Roll call vote: Yes: Stephens; No: Blake, Chong, Harrison, Overman, Walden, Webster, Arreguin; Abstain: None; Absent: Kavanagh. Motion Failed: 1-7-0-1.
M/S/C (Overman/Chong) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3517. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Kavanagh.
M/S/C (Chong/Blake) TO ACCEPT STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3518. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-1 Absent: Kavanagh.
6. Information and Announcements
6.a.(1) Update on proposed changes to the Ellis Implementation Ordinance. The Executive Director went over the draft report from the Board to the City Council to increase the amount of the Ellis Relocation Act assistance that the Board adopted at its last meeting.
6.a.(2) Update on proposed changes to the Condominium Conversion Ordinance. [PDF file, requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.] Chair Arreguin explained that the letter in the Board packet from him to the City Council, discussing Board recommendations on changes to the Condo Conversion Ordinance, was presented to the Council and that Council decided to hold a workshop to discuss the changes and policy issues. Chair Arreguin encouraged Board participation in the workshop being held in the chambers on December 11 at 5 pm.
6.a.(3) Update on new phone system. The Executive Director announced that the 981 phone system should be up and running by mid December.
6.a.(4) RTS computer upgrade project. Commissioner Chong said he was impressed by the preliminary work the Rent Board's Information Specialist and the City's I.T. Department have started, in creating flowcharts of business processes and necessary data needed. He is hopeful that a complete package of what the Board wants will be ready by January to go out as a Request for Proposal. The Executive Director added that staff has been working with Santa Monica and West Hollywood, who recently updated their database.
6.a.(5) Landlord/Tenant counseling in the library. Matt Brown, as Supervisor of the Public Information Unit, explained that beginning in December there will be one hour counseling sessions for landlord/tenant questions in the main branch of the Berkeley Public Library and that he hopes to move the service to other branches if it proves to be a successful program. Staff will report back to the Board in a few months on the program's progress.
6.a.(6) Market Median Rent for the period January 1999 through September 2007. No comments - self-explanatory report.
6.a.(7) Copies of recent mailings to all owners and tenants concerning the 2008 Annual General Adjustment and interest rate for refunding interest on security deposits held. No comments - item speaks for itself.
6.b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings.
(1) Budget and Personnel - Committee Chair Overman said that a meeting will be scheduled in about 3 weeks, after the joint letter goes out to unions requesting staff input in the Executive Director evaluation.
(2) Outreach - A meeting will be scheduled as soon as an alternate is appointed in Commissioner Kavanagh's absence.
(3) IRA/AGA/Habitability - Committee Chair Stephens said the last meeting had to be cancelled and another will be scheduled in December.
(4) Eviction/Section 8 - Walden requested a meeting to discuss Section 8 issues. To be scheduled off line.
(5) Ad Hoc Committee on Condominium Conversion Ordinance - No meeting scheduled.
(6) 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee - No meeting scheduled.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee of Soft Story - No meeting scheduled.
(8) Future Special Meetings - No meetings scheduled.
6.c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Update on Jarvis ballot initiative.
7. Adjournment M/S/C (Stephens/Harrison) Chair adjourned at 8:13 pm.