RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, August 15, 2011
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your PC. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your PC download Acrobat Reader for free.
If you are unable to access this information online, please participate by contacting us via e-mail at email@example.com, telephone (510) 981-7368 (981-RENT), or TDD (510) 981-6903.
1. Roll call – Vice Chair Blake called the meeting to order at 7:09 p.m. Aimee Mueller called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Dodsworth, Harr, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster.
Commissioners absent: Drake, Stephens.
Staff present: Barton, Brown, Mueller, Siegel
2. Approval of Agenda Vice Chair Blake announced that tonight’s meeting will be adjourned in honor of Miguel Wooding, the Executive Director of the San Francisco Eviction Defense Collaborative who recently passed away. Vice Chair Blake also announced that Appeal T-5151 had been withdrawn so the motion to approve the agenda should reflect that change. M/S/C (Tregub/Townley) APPROVE AGENDA AS AMENDED. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. ABSENT: Drake, Stephens.
Point of Order: Vice Chair Blake moved to have Commissioner Townley act as Chair for the remainder of the meeting. M/S/C (Blake/Tregub) MOVE TO HAVE COMMISSIONER TOWNLEY ACT AS CHAIR THE REMAINDER OF THE AUGUST 15, 2011 RENT STABILIZATION BOARD MEETING. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. ABSENT: Drake, Stephens.
3. Public Forum There were four speakers: Paul Barker, Chuhn Tung Lee, John Nguyen, and Christopher Macy.
4. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes
a.May 16, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes M/S/C (Harr/Blake) APPROVE MINUTES AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-3. ABSENT: Dodsworth (stepped out), Drake, Stephens.
b. June 15, 2011 Special Meeting minutes – HELD OVER TO NEXT MEETING.
c. June 20, 2011 Regular Meeting minutes – HELD OVER TO NEXT MEETING.
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m.
Appeal T-5151 (2922 Otis Street, Unit B)
APPEAL WAS WITHDRAWN PRIOR TO MEETING AND REMOVED FROM AGENDA.
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding proposed changes to the Relocation Ordinance (Executive Director) After Deputy Director Barton gave the Board an overview of the proposed changes to the Relocation Ordinance and took questions from Commissioners, the Board decided to vote on this item in two motions as follows:
M/S/C (Tregub/Webster) ENDORSE THE AMENDMENT TO UPDATE THE RELOCATION ORDINANCE AS PROPOSED BY THE HOUSING ADVISORY COMMISSION AND RECOMMEND THAT CITY COUNCIL ADD A TECHNICAL CLARIFICATION TO THE PROPOSED AMENDMENT. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Dodsworth, Harr, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster; NO: None; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Drake, Stephens. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
M/S/C (Tregub/Webster) direct STAFF TO DEVELOP FOR CONSIDERATION BY THE RENT BOARD A SECURITY DEPOSIT LOAN PROGRAM TO ASSIST IMPLEMENTATION OF THE RELOCATION ORDINANCE. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Dodsworth, Harr, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster; NO: None; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Drake, Stephens. Passed: 7-0-0-2.
(2) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3932 2027 Hearst Avenue
3933 1743 Blake Street
4011 1607 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way
4029 2437— 8th Street
4037 3024 Fulton Street
4039 2317 Blake Street
4040 1308 Hopkins Street
4044 1919 Curtis Street
4048 2700 Prince Street
4051 2320 — 9th Street
4056 1629 Stuart Street
Waiver No. Property Address
M/S/C (Harr/Blake) APPROVE ALL MINISTERIAL WAIVERS EXCEPT WAIVER NOS. 4039 AND 4044; THESE WILL BE HELD OVER TO THE NEXT BOARD MEETING. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. ABSENT: Drake, Stephens.
(3) Recommendation to refer the attached standard lease agreement which tenants are required to sign to the Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee to review its legality and reasonableness (Executive Director)
M/S/C (Blake/Harr) REFER THIS STANDARD LEASE AGREEMENT TO THE EVICTION/SECTION 8/FORECLOSURE COMMITTEE TO REVIEW ITS LEGALITY AND REASONABLENESS. Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. ABSENT: Drake, Stephens.
7. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Update on the Affordable Housing Mitigation Fee Ordinance Deputy Director Barton informed the Board there has been no change since their last meeting. This is scheduled for a Workshop discussion at the City Council meeting on October 11th.
(2) September 23, 2010 SOCALCIA.com article titled, “Right to Rent could change the nation’s foreclosure crisis: CEPR” (Commissioner Harr) Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
(3) May 27, 2011 letter from Michael Lang regarding the Annual General Adjustment (Chair Stephens) Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
(4) August 11, 2011 letter from Commissioner Harr conveying several procedural suggestions for the Board’s consideration (Executive Director) Several Commissioners commented on this letter and thanked Commissioner Harr for her suggestions.
(5) Calapalooza Student Fair on August 25, 2011 Commissioner Tregub announced that the Rent Board will have a table at this event and invited Commissioners to come out and meet the UC Berkeley students.
(6) Minutes from past housing calls and Housing California Workshop Commissioner Tregub said this item is not yet ready for distribution and will likely be on a future agenda.
(7) May 2011 U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development report titled “U.S. Housing Market Conditions” for 1st Quarter 2011 Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
(8) July 11, 2011 J.P. Morgan report titled, “Eye on the Market” Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
(9) July 21, 2011 New York Times article by Aaron Glantz titled, “Conversion of Apartments to Rentals for Tourists Is Surging” Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
(10) August 11, 2011 San Francisco Chronicle article by Carolyn Said titled “Rents go through roof; Vacancy rates fall as competition among tenants intensifies” Included in the packet and self-explanatory.
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel – Committee Chair Tregub said that the Committee has discussed meeting soon but no date is set.
(2) Outreach – Committee Chair Webster updated the Board on the August 12th meeting and the Committee’s activities, including the October 4, 2011 Workshop for Small Property Owners and the Solano Stroll on September 11th.
a. August 12th agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability – Staff Attorney Matt Brown informed the Board that Chair Stephens would like this Committee to meet, preferably during the week of August 22nd, to address several pressing issues.
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure – Committee Chair Harr updated the Board on the Committee’s recent meetings and activity.
a. June 10th minutes
b. July 1st agendac. July 1st minutes
d. July 26th agenda
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing – Committee Chair Townley announced that the Committee will meet on Tuesday, August 23rd at 5:00 p.m.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee – The next meeting is scheduled for September 29th at 10:00 a.m.
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – Committee Chair Shelton updated the Board on the Committee’s recent meetings and activity.
a. May 27th minutes
b. June 22nd minutes
c. July 12th agenda
d. August 12th agenda
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
8. Adjournment After Commissioner Harr spoke about her friend Miguel Wooding – his many talents, his dedication and his tremendous contribution to our community – the Board adjourned the meeting at 8:29 p.m. in his honor. M/S/C (Harr/Dodsworth) Voice vote. Passed: 7-0-0-2. ABSENT: Drake, Stephens.