SPECIAL BERKELEY CITY COUNCIL MEETING
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28, 1999
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 28, 19992134 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way - Council Chambers
Roll Call: 6:07 P.M. - Absent: Councilmembers Shirek and Woolley
Public Hearing and Council Decision: Appeal of Zoning Adjustments Board Decision
Concerning a Use Permit 99-10000004 for the Kaplan Test Education Center to Establish aSchool at 150 Berkeley Square
a. City Manager Report dated April 28, 1999
Recommendation: Adopt a Resolution approving Use Permit 99-10000004 to Kava Massih
to establish a school and renovate an existing structure at 150 Berkeley Square and
dismissing the appeal by the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association (BAHA).
Recommendation: Adopt a Resolution affirming the decision of the Zoning Adjustments
Board approving a Use Permit to Kava Massih to renovate a building and establish a school
at 150 Berkeley Square for approximately 200 students in an existing 8,350 square foot
building, and expanding its gross floor area approximately 3000 square feet by enlarging
an existing mezzanine, constructing a new third floor and projecting the upper floors into
the City right-of-way, and dismissing the appeal by the Berkeley Architectural Heritage
1. The Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association
2. Donn Logan, Elbasani & Logan Architects
3. Thomas R. Lambert, President, Lambert Properties
4. Arlene Silk
5. Doris E. Willingham
6. Leonard Pitt
7. Matt Phillips
8. Identical postcards from: James T. Snow; Roger Van Ouytsel; Daniella Thompson; David Baker; Molly English; Peter S. Mitchell; Beatrice E. Bakondy; Darryl Brock; Ahmad M. Manesh; David Bakalchuk; Tom Schultz; Lauren Katz; Leslie A. North; Angel Maldonado; David Olson; Nancy Lindbluth; Wendy Bloom; Carl Wikander; Sarah Wikander; David Trachtenberg; Anthony Bruce; Rachel and Lev Levinson; Eleanor Gibson; Marian Binkley; Hugh Wire; Hushka Stross; Paul Huizinga; Grace Christie.
9. John S. English, AICP; Allen Stross.
10. Susan Cerny
Contact: Sherry M. Kelly, City Clerk, 644-6480
Public Testimony: The Mayor opened the public hearing. Eight speakers heard. Moved, seconded, carried (Armstrong/Spring; Absent Shirek, Woolley) to close the public hearing.
Action: Moved, seconded, carried (Armstrong/Worthington) to adopt Resolution No. 60,008-N.S. approving Use Permit 99-10000004 to Kava Massih to establish a school and renovate an existing structure at 150 Berkeley Square including a retail space on the ground floor subject to conceptual drawings as presented to Council and the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association (BAHA) and subject to the design review process, and dismissing the appeal filed by BAHA. (Absent: Shirek, Woolley)
The meeting adjourned at 6:40 p.m.