(Opens in a new window)
To read PDF files, download
BERKELEY CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL CLOSED MEETING
June 22, 2004
Roll Call: 4:05 p.m.
Present: Councilmembers Hawley, Maio, Olds, Shirek , Spring, Worthington, Wozniak and Mayor Bates.
Absent: Councilmember Breland.
Public Comment: Rick Chan, Annie Thomas, Dorlista Reed, Nabil Al-Hadithy, Kathy Rollins,
Marvin Tam, Iris Starr, and Eric Brenman.
1. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.9(a):
a. PUBLIC LIABILITY LITIGATION
Rollie French v. Arntz Builders, City of Berkeley, et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No.2002-043461 consolidated with:
Helix Electric v. Arntz Builders, et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No. 2002-061480);
Thyssenkrupp Elevator Corp. v. Arntz Builders, et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No.2002-071479);
F.W. Spencer & Son, Inc. v. Arntz Builders, et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No. RG03082302);
Bay Systems Integrators, Inc. v. Helix Electric, Inc., et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No. RG03089440); and
Arntz Builders, Inc. v. City of Berkeley, et al.
(Alameda County Superior Court No. RG 03095394).
2. Conference with Labor Negotiator Pursuant to Government Code Section 54957.6:
a. City Negotiators
1. Phil Kamlarz, City Manager
2. Lisa Caronna, Deputy City Manager
3. Tracy Vesely, Budget Director
4. Nicki Spillane, Acting Human Resources Director
5. David Hodgkins, Acting Deputy Human Resources Director
6. Margarita Zamora, Senior Human Resources Analyst
1. SEIU Local 790, SEIU Local 535, Local One, Part-Time Recreation Leaders Association/SEIU Local 535, IBEW Local 1245
2. Berkeley Fire Fighters Association Local 1227 I.A.F.F.
3. Berkeley Police Association
4. All Unrepresented Employees
3. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - ANTICIPATED LITIGATION
a. Significant exposure to litigation pursuant to subdivision (b) of Government Code section 54956.9
Some Unions have threatened to file
grievances or other legal actions challenging the City's right to implement the
salary reduction provisions of the Memorandum Agreements. The City Council will be meeting with the
City's attorneys to discuss the threatened litigation.
Adjourned at 6:00 p.m.