(Opens in a new window)
To read PDF files, download
BERKELEY CITY COUNCIL SPECIAL CLOSED MEETING
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Roll Call: 9:08 p.m.
Present: Councilmembers Anderson, Capitelli, Maio, Moore, Olds, Spring, Worthington, Wozniak, and Mayor Bates.
Public Comment: Becky
O’Malley and Wendy Alfsen.
1. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL - EXISTING LITIGATION PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.9(a):
City of Berkeley v. University of California; Regents of the University of California
(Alameda County Case No. RG 05199505
2. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL-- ANTICIPATED LITIGATION PURSUANT TO GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION 54956.9 (b) and (c)
Threatened litigation – two cases:
1. The City Council will discuss with its attorneys a threat of litigation by UC should it adopt a sewer rate schedule that include impose a sewer fee on UC for sewer services UC receives from the City of Berkeley.
2. The City Council will discuss with its attorneys litigation which may be filed by UC should the City demand that UC collect and remit to the City the parking space rental tax imposed by BMC Chapter 7.48 on spaces in UC operated garages.
Initiation of litigation—two cases
1. The Berkeley City Council will consider whether to initiate litigation to compel the Regents of the University of California and/or the University of California, Berkeley Campus, to collect and remit to the City the parking space rental tax imposed by BMC Chapter 7.48.
2. The Berkeley City Council will consider whether to initiate litigation to determine the extent to which the Regents of the University of California and/or the University of California, Berkeley Campus are obligated to pay the sewer rates and clean storm water charges adopted by the City.
Report from Closed Session: Moved, seconded, carried (Worthington/Anderson) a
motion requesting the University of California to make the UCLRDP settlement
agreement public prior to its final adoption by Council.
UC Berkeley Long Range Development Plan
1. Andy Katz, Chair, Northern Alameda County Sierra Club
Adjourned at 10:33 p.m.